We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Caracol ourselves or through a Guide?

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to Caracol ourselves or through a Guide?

My husband and I are staying at Five Sisters Lodge at the end of May for 3 nights. We want to maximize our stay in this area so was thinking the following:

1st Day: ATM Tour

2nd Day: Caracol

For ATM, we're most likely going to get a tour (most charge extra for pick up) and for Caracol to either drive ourselves or go with a guide. Any thoughts? Is it best to just go through the tour? Since the lodge is so far from the road, we're not sure how long everything will take. Thanks!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,872 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to Caracol ourselves or through a Guide?

You can drive yourselves and hire a guide on site, but a driver/guide will offer an interpretive tour and explain the natural history of the areas you are driving thru, will see birds and other creatures your eyes could miss and provide info that will enhance the trip.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to Caracol ourselves or through a Guide?

If you have your own vehicle, then I'd arrange it with your tour operator for you to drive to town, and catch a ride with them. That way, you could stay in town and eat after the journey. You could even arrange it to drive your vehicle to ATM, if you drive or follow the guide there.

Caracol: definitely do that yourself. Do Rio Frio Cave first, then catch the convoy to Caracol, then, on the way back, hit Rio On Pools and Big Rock Falls. MPR is why I own a vehicle.

Have a great time exploring MPR!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to Caracol ourselves or through a Guide?

Be warned though, you need to hire a vehicle with permission to go off of paved roads. Definitely you must get a 4wd vehicle as the roads up there are tough.

Puerto Penasco...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to Caracol ourselves or through a Guide?

Just got back from Five Sister's last week. You will love it. Great food, service and views. We drove ourselves from Belize city to Five Sisters, on the way we stopped and went zip lining and cave tubing at Jaguar Paw at mile 37 on the highway. Next day we drove to Caracol. Only problem there were no guides available at the site. We also stopped at Rio Pools, I would recommend Big Rock falls just a mile or so from Five Sisters. It's a good hike down, but worth it. We also went into Guatamala for lunch. A great lunch and four Gallo beers were under ten bucks. The taxi ride was 80 cents a person.

This was our second trip to Belize and plan on going back next year.

Be sure to say hi and wave to everyone, it is by far the friendliest we have been to.

San Ignacio, Belize
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive to Caracol ourselves or through a Guide?

It will be much better if you go with a tour guide so that you get the history of the site. You are also guaranteed a straight drive to the site. It will also be cheaper for you to book through a local company and not through a hotel, in that way you are helping a locally owned company as well. If you have any more questions contact me through my webpage www.youbelizetours.com

6. Re: Drive to Caracol ourselves or through a Guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, June 18, 2013