We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does one ever decide on lodging?

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
89 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
How does one ever decide on lodging?

Like a prior poster, 17 hours and counting....and this is just the jungle portion of the trip! No communal bathrooms and we're not keen on communal meals. (We're very quiet and tend to stick to ourselves). We want to be in an unusual, beautiful spot with very good food. (doesn't have to be gourmet, but we don't want to pay for 'bulk'). We want to do ATM and caracol; a zipline and partial day in San Ignacio. We'd like to spend at least a day swimming, tubing, canoeing, horseback riding, or hiking to take advantage of the environment at the hotel/odge. Can you do this at Mariposa? Or, will the mosquitos be so bad by the river, that one won't want to be there? We will be going in February and plan to spend 4-5 days in the jungle. We don't want to spend hours in a vehicle to get to sites (ATM, caracol, San Ignacio). We're not going to hassle with a vehicle, so want the lodging to arrange tours, transport. I have struggled with finding a map that has sites and lodging on a map...so I'm posting. I tried to sort pro's and cons. Cost is important in that I don't want to 'waste' money'. Mariosa, Mystic River, Macaw, Table Rock, Pooks Hill...am I narrowing it down correctly?? I have looked at everything, so if I'm missing something, please advise.

Save Reply
1. Re: How does one ever decide on lodging?

I recommend table rock great food lovely and quiet inviroment. Close to all cave tubing and Maya ruins

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does one ever decide on lodging?

Oh oh....I fear the help about to happen won't help at all.....I recommend Pook's Hill. The accommodations are beautiful, it's really close to the ATM, pretty close to San Ignacio, the lodge is in the middle of the jungle, there are excellent guides and they will surely take care helping you do what you want. The meals are communal but it was just fine. If you don't want to visit with other people you don't have to.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,788 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does one ever decide on lodging?

amerbergriscaye.com has a map of the jungle lodges in

Cayo

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,841 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does one ever decide on lodging?

At duPlooys Jungle Lodge, the dining room had separate tables, so there was no communal dining. Food was excellent, too.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,277 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How does one ever decide on lodging?

You're going to spend hours in a vehicle to see Caracol no matter where you stay. Staying in Mountain Pine Ridge instead of the Cayo will get you slightly closer, but that just means you'd be further away from other activities like the ATM cave.

Cahal Pech lodge has a great view of the town, and has decent food (not as good as Hannah's in San Ignacio, of course). Very good bargain, next door to Cahal Pech ruins but on the other hand not a jungle lodge or anything approaching luxury.

Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How does one ever decide on lodging?

My vote would be Mystic River. I stayed there in June and it was really nice!

Cheers,

Carlos

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
224 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How does one ever decide on lodging?

Seems you are on the right track. It looks like the choices you have narrowed it down to are on the side of the river you need to be. In general there are not a lot of mosquitoes near the river. With some of your choices, you will not find a full menu. This being due to the turnover of food, but you will get choices of food available. The side you are looking at, all the lodges mentioned are all nice , and are all centrally located to your desired activities. Now that you have it narrowed down, consider your budget. Then send emails to the different lodges asking them questions, and addressing your concerns.

All the best !!

8. Re: How does one ever decide on lodging?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, October 25, 2012