We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in San Ignacio vs. Jungle Lodge

New York to...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in San Ignacio vs. Jungle Lodge

Hi,

My wife and I will be spending a few days in the area in mid-July, hoping to do the usual things (ATM, Tikal, Mountain Pine Ridge), and wondered about staying in the city, versus the jungle lodges (cost is something of a factor).

Wonder what people's experiences have been in town?

thanks!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in San Ignacio vs. Jungle Lodge

I book clients into hotels and inns in SI when they want a/c, tv and to be close to town; the lion's share at the lodges in the midst of the very environment they have come to see for the experience.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in San Ignacio vs. Jungle Lodge

Many tour operators will pick you up at your jungle lodge for free if it isn't too far off the beaten path, so that shouldn't stop you from staying where you want to stay. I think Katie has it right. Many lodges wouldn't think of ever having a tv or a/c.

As with most places, town is louder, and has more night noise, and in the rural areas, birds are louder. Good luck, and have a great trip!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,196 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in San Ignacio vs. Jungle Lodge

We've stayed at these 3 places near San Ignacio and loved them all for different reasons; I've never been tempted to stay right in town but the Aguada across the bridge in Santa Elena was a good choice for us with nephews in tow - loved the pool. The last link is to my photo/blog/travelogue site. Happy trails!

www.thetrekstop.com

www.belizecamp.com

www.aguadahotel.com

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in San Ignacio vs. Jungle Lodge

We stayed at DuPlooys jungle lodge and all the tours (we did ATM, Xunantunich and the cave tubing/zip lining) and the tours provided transportation. The location of the lodge could not be beat! It was a much more scenic choice.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in San Ignacio vs. Jungle Lodge

Will you have a rental car? That can make things easier if you stay at a lodge rather than in or near town.

Oakland, California
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in San Ignacio vs. Jungle Lodge

We stayed in a vacation rental in San Ignacio--Kumquat Cottage http://kumquatcottage.com/ . It was a few blocks to downtown, so not noisy, and I liked being able to walk to town and have a variety of choices for eating (or groceries). The yard/grounds of the house are lovely, and there's a great view from the roof. The local staff were also incredibly helpful.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,196 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in San Ignacio vs. Jungle Lodge

Thanks for posting, daoca - I've been curious about that place!

PNW
Level Contributor
642 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in San Ignacio vs. Jungle Lodge

We stayed at Moonracer Farm. Look under B&Bs and loved it. You get out of the city (its in MPR) like the lodges but not the higher price and Marge is a fantastic cook. They arranged all our tours too.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in San Ignacio vs. Jungle Lodge

Im not an all inclusive type, but Mopan River Resort is perfect! Small resort - I think there are 12 rooms. It's across the river from Benque, not in San Ignacio.

Every day you go on a different excursion - Tikal, Caracol, cave tubing, Chechem Ha, Barton Creek Cave, Xunantunich, etc. The price is really right for what you get - and the rooms are amazing. I think there are TVs, mini bars, snack baskets.

Theyre under new management since Ive been there, but the friends I reco'd it to not knowing this said it was wonderful.

suitcaseready.com

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in San Ignacio vs. Jungle Lodge

I have also stayed at Mopan. It isn't as upscale as some of the resorts so the price is a bit more reasonable, but the inclusions are wonderful. The guides each day are incredible and really know the sites and the area. Being able to do a little of everything was wonderful.

You do move all the time so be prepared, but it is well worth it. I look back at the pictures and am awed by both the beauty of the ruins and the sites but also by the fact that I made the hike or did whatever.

I certainly recommend checking it out.