We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chaa Creek or duPlooys?

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Chaa Creek or duPlooys?

We are getting ready for our first trip to Belize and the jungle. Is there a big difference between Chaa Creek or duPlooys? which are we more likely to see wildlife (monkeys)?? Your thoughts are appreciated.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chaa Creek or duPlooys?

Since they are bordering each other, I don't think you'll find much of a difference as far as wildlife. Maybe DuPlooy's has a little more because they are just past CC.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
224 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chaa Creek or duPlooys?

I believe you may see more wildlife at Duplooys. They have a great bird feeding station, and I hear the kinkajoos come down in the evening. Not sure if you will see monkeys at either, but I did hear that Chaa Creek had relocated some , and placed them on the property. I can say for sure that you will see some spectacular birds at the feeding station at Duplooys. If you don`t see monkeys at either , there are monkeys at Caracol and Xunantunich Mayan sites.Have a great holiday whatever you decide.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
881 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chaa Creek or duPlooys?

We stayed at duPlooy's and visited Chaa Creek. duPlooy's is definitely more wildlife-oriented. The setting is much more natural, rather than the more manicured look of Chaa Creek. We saw LOTS of wildlife right around the grounds of duPlooy's, including the birds and kinkajoos that frequented the feeding station at the bar/deck. Staff guides can get you to the closest monkeys, no problem.

Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Chaa Creek or duPlooys?

Hey there-

What was your choice and experience? We are in the process of deciding on a hotel for our trip in June and any input is greatly appreciated. We are also considering Blancaneaux Lodge.

~Polaris

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chaa Creek or duPlooys?

There are howler monkeys on the property at Chaa Creek and lots of birds as well. They offer free birding every morning. We saw a toucan and aracaris, as well as some other cool birds. We did a night hike and didn't see much - an opossum, porcupine, things like that. The grounds immediately surrounding the cabins are manicured, but there are loads of jungly trails to hike; I think it's 365 acres. We only saw the howlers one day when we were there, but we did hear them every day. If you get a chance, do a day trip to Tikal; we saw loads of spider monkeys there, aracaris, and oscillated turkeys.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,517 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chaa Creek or duPlooys?

You might want to consider Macal River Jungle Camp, Chaa Creek's jungly cousin; search for my review here on Trip Advisor and check out their website below. Incredible setting, great value imo!

www.belizecamp.com

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chaa Creek or duPlooys?

DuPlooys is good for birds and we saw the kinkajoo come down, right at the bar, to eat watermelon, very sweet.

Blancaneaux is in the Mountain Pine Ridge so not so jungly. Much more luxurious than DuPlooys, I like it a lot, I like the horseback riding, the chic decor, the high service level, the organic garden and chickens, and just wandering around by the river. But I live by the sea with jungle behind, so the contrast is probably more refreshing for me than for some.

But my favourite of all is Machaca - birds, monkeys, peccarries, organic food, drop dead gorgeous views and world class accommodation - and expensive!

Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Chaa Creek or duPlooys?

Wow! Machaca wasn't even on my radar. Looks awesome. Maybe not the choice for this trip - we are traveling with one other couple and it doesn't look like they have 2 BR suites. Also it appears to be farther from the tour areas we wanted to visit (atm etc) ?

I will run it past them though - or maybe my husband and I can check it out on our next trip. Thanks for the tip!

9. Re: Chaa Creek or duPlooys?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 26, 2012