We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AC, Placencia and SI

malibu
Level Contributor
47 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
AC, Placencia and SI

We are traveling to Belize in December and planning on staying at Caye Casa in AC, Los Porticos Villas in Placencia and San Ignacio Resort Hotel in SI.

I haven't booked them yet (but all still available) and I'm trying to decide which order is best, considering transportation. My thought was 1) SI (private shuttle from BZE), 2) Placencia (private shuttle) 3) Flights to Ambergris and back to BZE. This is our first trip to Belize so I'm not sure if that's the best itinerary...

How long does it take to drive from SI to Placencia? I've searched the threads but have only found bus info.

There are 3 of us (adults) and while we don't want to do budget (buses), flying everywhere is going to get too expensive for us. We're planning on 3-4 days in each location.

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated... Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
1,124 Reviews
San Ignacio, Belize
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AC, Placencia and SI

Youd can rent a car for the land portion. SIH is 1.5 hrs from Intl; Placencia is just over 3 hrs drive from there. Placencia back to Belize City take 3 hrs. Fly (20 mins) or take the water taxi (1.5 hrs) to and from the caye. You'll save $ on transfers and some tours by renting a car. Roads are well marked and main hywys are paved. Most attractions are off road, so get a 4wd vehicle.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AC, Placencia and SI

I think your order is right on, as is taking the highway to Placencia, so you can see the lush beauty, and then flying to AC. As Katie mentioned, if you think you'll be doing most of your tours on your own, you might want a car for the whole mainland portion. But since most tour guides provide transport, you might just want to rent a car in Cayo for a day, and explore some on your own, maybe doing Mountain Pine Ridge and Caracol, since you can do both with your own car. By the way, I've used William to go to Placencia, and he's the best shuttle service around: www.parrot-nest.com/belize-shuttle.html

Have a great time seeing all those places!

Mentioned in this post
Cayo
Cayo
Belize
malibu
Level Contributor
47 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AC, Placencia and SI

Thanks to both of you. I have emailed William to get his rates, and it's sounding like that's the way to go for us.

Can you take a water taxi directly from Placencia to Ambergris?

Thanks again.

4. Re: AC, Placencia and SI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:32 am, March 05, 2011