We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can we get around in rural areas without a car?

St. Paul
12 posts
Save Topic
How can we get around in rural areas without a car?

My party will be traveling through Belize by bus. We want to go to San Ignacio and see the surrounding sights without renting a car. I noticed that some things, like small Mayan villages and the Pine Mountain Reserve are off the beaten path. Is it possible to visit any of these places without a car? Practical? I'm guessing that even if busses go out there, it would be difficult to arrange return service. I know that fancy hotels sometimes arrange shuttles. Is this expensive and typically reserved for hotel guests only? Are there other alternatives? We're going to be dealing with making transportation arrangements to out-of-the-way places on a regular basis on this trip, since we want to see more than just what everyone else sees, if thats possible to do without a car. Any general comments or suggestions about that? Anyone care to share some experiences? Thanks.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can we get around in rural areas without a car?

You'll need a vehicle to access remote areas. No busses that'll work for your schedule. You can book transport and guide thru your hotel or from places like Eva's Restaurant in SI town.

St. Paul
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How can we get around in rural areas without a car?

Thanks for the info about this and Dr. Arvigo, Katie. I appreciate it.