We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What type of shoes for the tours???

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new orleans
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What type of shoes for the tours???

We are traveling to Belize mid-Feb for a combined beach/jungle trip with our 8 year-old. We will do all the usual hiking, cave tubing, ATM, snorkeling. I want to make sure we all have the right footwear so I have to listen to as few complaints as possible. What combination of hiking boots, water shoes, water sandals and tennis shoes do you all recommend, my wise TA friends? All input welcome!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What type of shoes for the tours???

I would choose sandals which designed for hiking and which you can also get wet. And I always carry thick socks to wear in case of blisters and cut feet when I am out and about - unlikely, but it can happen. For snorkelling, wading slippers are good. A good trip for a 8 year old is overnight at the zoo, can be fitted in on the way to or from ATM.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What type of shoes for the tours???

Closed toed Tevas are best for ATM, and in general, around here. I go barefoot most of the time, but use the Teva's everywhere else but school.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What type of shoes for the tours???

When I visited Belize, I brought only my closed toe Tevas. They worked everywhere. The only caution I'd offer is not to forget to put sunscreen on the tops of your feet.

CT
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What type of shoes for the tours???

Sounds like our last trip - we wore Salomon TechAmphibians and our 7 yr old daughter wore Salomon Karma (she loves these sneakers!) - these worked really well for our adventures!

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What type of shoes for the tours???

When we did cave tubing water shoes were perfect, though now with all those cool water shoe running shoe cross overs I would say that kind of shoe can cover a few bases for sure.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
99 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What type of shoes for the tours???

I was about to ask this same question. We're also doing ATM. I don't have closed toe Teva's but have waterproof hiking shoes (Keen). I've worn them on soggy trails and in the rain, but not walking across a river, like ATM. Would these do, or is there something special about Tevas?

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What type of shoes for the tours???

Those should work fine. The main thing about ATM is that it's a cave, and there are some small jagged rocks that if hit just right with your toes, could cause a slight cut, so close toed shoes or hiking shoes are recommended.

PNW
Level Contributor
642 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What type of shoes for the tours???

I used Salomon TechAmphibians , My husband had on the closed toed Teva type but a different brand popular one starts with M but can't think of it, and son wore Keens and all were good. I think the trick is just wearing shoes that can dry.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
203 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What type of shoes for the tours???

You're probably thinking of Merrill Shoes

PNW
Level Contributor
642 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What type of shoes for the tours???

Yep, that's the name. Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about San Ignacio