We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cohune Palms or Iguana Junction?

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
194 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Cohune Palms or Iguana Junction?

Trying to decide between Cohune Palms or Iguana Junction in Bullet Tree Falls for a 3 night stay in November.

Does anyone have any recommendations or comments with regard to location/distance from San Ignacio, amenities, cleanliness, service, etc?

Thanks!

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
194 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cohune Palms or Iguana Junction?

Oops...one more to add...

We're also considering Cahal Pech Village Resort (cabanas).

Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cohune Palms or Iguana Junction?

Cahal Pech has nice cabanas, and is in Cayo proper. Iguana Junction is the better of the 2 you listed in Bullet Tree, based upon what you get for the price. If you're there on a Wednesday morning, you can do yoga on their new deck on the water - I tube by them during yoga all the time. Colin and Dawn are nice people, and will take care of you.

Bullet Tree is only 3 miles from downtown, I bike it in under 15 minutes, and a one way cab ride is only $1us a person. So even though many people say it's way far away from downtown, it's close, easy to get to, and is a quick ride...

Cahal Pech has a great pool, and a jacuzzi, when it's working. Iguana Junction is on the clean, lazy Mopan River. You can tube every day there. They are both quite clean.

Enjoy your vacation!

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
194 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cohune Palms or Iguana Junction?

Thanks for the info, Doc!

Any one else stayed at Cohune Palms, Iguana Junction or Cahal Pech Village recently, or have any other comments?

Maine
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cohune Palms or Iguana Junction?

I think I may have answered you on Fodors but here's my experience. My family of 5 stayed at Cohune Palms this past summer. It was supposed to be for 3 nights but we enjoyed ourselves so much and there is so much to do we stayed an extra night. We stayed in a traditional thatched cabana which was clean and comfortable. We enjoyed our meals there but it was somewhat expensive to eat there with 3 kids since it was all one price. They also had an honor bar with sodas and beer. The grounds were beautiful and I loved the location on the Mopan river. They had a rope swing into the river that my boys loved. We tubed on the river as well as swam in it. They have 2 decks to the water and also a nice open air restaurant where you can also just hang out and meet other guests and swap stories about your tours. From there we went to Caracol, Rio on Pools, Rio Frio Cave, ATM cave, and Xunantunich. We truly loved our stay there. I hadn't heard of Iguana Junction but I just looked at the reviews and it sure sounds great as well. We did go into San Ignacio sometimes for meals and to go on our tours and we were very glad that we had stayed in Bullet Tree Falls. Most likely you will be busy all day and only at your hotel in the evening after you go on tours. Good luck with your decision.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
194 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cohune Palms or Iguana Junction?

Thanks wanatrvl. Yep, that was me on Fodors. Thanks for the details! (Nice trip report, too!!)

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
194 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cohune Palms or Iguana Junction?

Thanks again for all the feedback.

I just wanted to follow-up and let anyone who may be interested that, after much deliberation, we decided on Iguana Junction. Mostly because of cost (Iggy J is almost half the cost of Cohune Palms) -- we really couldn't get a sense of any other differences between it and Cohune Palms. They both seem great, have great reviews, and offer very similar accommodations and amenities (clean, thatched roof cabanas on the river).

Also, my emails with Colin & Dawn were very good and they were able to arrange transfer from/to BZE at a fair price.

I will be sure to post a review when I return from the trip. Perhaps I'll pop in to Cohune Palms and have a look.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cohune Palms or Iguana Junction?

Be sure and tube the Mopan river while you're there - I see them in the river every day, and I'm pretty sure it's free.

8. Re: Cohune Palms or Iguana Junction?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 12, 2010