We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Butterfly farms

Sassari, Italy
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Topic
Butterfly farms

Do I understand correctly that there are butterflies hatching in these farms all year round? I guess yes,since no one has mentioned times of year best to visit them- but just want to make sure. (Are there normally butterflies all year round in Belize or do these farms "stress the system" with artificial environments?)

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Butterfly farms

Yes, open yr round and self contained and only contribute to the population, not stress it

Sassari, Italy
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Butterfly farms

I chose the wrong words, didn't mean to say something that sounded negative!! I was just wondering if butterflies are normally around all year round in Belize, (since the weather stays warm all year round), or if they have anyway a yearly cycle, and are normally just present as butterflies or caterpillars or other lifestage form in certain times of year and not continuously.

You say they contribute to the population. So do the butterflies hatched there get released into the wild and increase the wild butterfly population? One tripadvisor reviewer wrote something that I interpreted (perhaps incorrectly) as meaning that they were not released. And I was guessing that maybe if they didn't normally live as butterflies all year round that they wouldn't survive and lay eggs in the wild anyway.

Looking forwards to learning a lot about butterflies!

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Butterfly farms

The butterfly farm at Chaa Creek always has butterflies in all states. It's pretty cool. There are quite a few butterfly farms around.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Butterfly farms

Yes butterflies are present year round in Belize and throughout CA. I don't know what the release procedures are at the farms, but I do know that they breed butterflies for export to collectors. Given that these are captive bred, not collected from the wild, I don't see how that could be an environmental negative.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
5. Re: Butterfly farms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 24, 2014