We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wow - Belize seems too expensive!

albuquerque, nm
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wow - Belize seems too expensive!

I really (REALLY) want to go to Belize for my birthday at the end of October, but I'm surprised at how expensive everything seems to be. We want a "jungle" experience (just did a beach vacation in Jamaica) but I'm concerned that it's out of our price range. Am I missing something? Is there a way to do a jungle trip that doesn't break the bank? I was hoping to not spend much more than 3K-4K (including airfare from New Mexico in the US). Am I crazy to even try this in Belize? We want to see Caracol, Tikal and one of the cave tubing tours - and enjoy some good food and drink. Are there any jungle hotels that are close enough to local restaurants/bars to help offset the high hotel food cost? Any suggestions on how to accomplish this are appreciated!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wow - Belize seems too expensive!

Rates here run the gamut and there's always something nice in everyone's price range. You should do fine with your budget, plenty of nice moderately priced inns and lodges.

Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wow - Belize seems too expensive!

I haven't been on this forum in a long time, but reading everyones post brought back great memories. My husband and I did Belize for 10 days, for well under 2k. We didn't stay at (or want to stay at) any pricy places but had the time of our lives. We really experienced the true Belize. Did a day trip to Tikal, hired a local to tour us around anotehr day(I'm sure I still have his info), stayed in a jungle (eco) hotel...it was all sooooo good. We did San Ignacio, Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker, and Belize City. Amazing!

Ct
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wow - Belize seems too expensive!

Look at Mopan River Resort --- great all inclusive ---includes Tikal --- this is truly a wonderful deal. To save money, just go for 6 nights instead of 7.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wow - Belize seems too expensive!

Mopan River Resort is closed July through October. ...and although I loved Mopan River, I would stay elsewhere (maybe closer to San Ignacio) if I were to go to Cayo again to get a better feel for that area of the country.

westminster,md
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wow - Belize seems too expensive!

Hi, we recently came back from a 10 days trip to Belize. Yes, it is expensive. I would HIGHLY recommend Mopan River Resort in the Cayo district. It includes everything except admission to some of the tours which they provide for you. The food, drinks, tour and accommodations are wonderful as are the owners. It is a small place and if you are looking for nightlife, I wouldn't go there. If you want to be as busy as you want or don't want, this might be the place for you.

6. Re: Wow - Belize seems too expensive!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 21, 2009