We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to pre-book water taxi from BC to AC?

Which Belize City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sutton
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Need to pre-book water taxi from BC to AC?

Hi! We're traveling from Belize City to Ambergris Caye on March 4th and plan to take a water taxi. Does anyone know if they often get full and if it's best to prebook tickets? Which company would you use?

It looks like the water taxis leave often, but in another message somone said they wouldn't go with a water taxi because they are often delayed - is that true? It would be great to fly but we are 5 so the price adds up.

Thanks, Joanne

Level Contributor
7,882 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to pre-book water taxi from BC to AC?

We took San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi and from my experience it seemed to be the more reliable and professional operation. While you can buy a ticket in advance reservations were not really taken. I do understand they can be very full at certain times and therefore get there early if you are going during any sort of holiday time or weekends. I heard many complaints about another company called Caye Caulker water taxi which also goes to AC. We found the water taxi very reliable and on time...pretty rough going over but much better coming back. I was expecting the worst and it was better than I expected. Could actually be pleasant depending on the seas.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,070 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to pre-book water taxi from BC to AC?

I wouldn't pre-book unless I was aiming to get the last boat of the day.

Sutton
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to pre-book water taxi from BC to AC?

Thanks for the info! How long did it take you? Can we bring any food/drink onboard? (it will be lunch time for us). Maybe better to stop for lunch near the ferry terminal?

J

Level Contributor
7,882 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to pre-book water taxi from BC to AC?

I believe it was 90 min. If I could have prebooked I would have but they would not take a booking. If you have time I would consider getting something to eat prior to the trip..I will say the ferry leaves from a very congested area with construction which meant we had to get out a couple of blocks early but that may be finished before you get there. I don't think eating would have been possible on that trip over but coming back it was not bad. Good luck.

Sutton
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to pre-book water taxi from BC to AC?

Thanks gene and MisterB266!

Joanne

6. Re: Need to pre-book water taxi from BC to AC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 17, 2014