We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize: First-Timers

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 post
Save Topic
Belize: First-Timers

I'm planning a trip for a group of friends (10+). We've been looking at Costa Rica or Belize and settled on Belize. We want to do everything... the Belize Barrier Reef, jungle, mayan ruins... any suggestions? We're looking at Palencia or Dangriga. Thanks in advance!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,003 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize: First-Timers

How much time do you have? I've 10 or 11 weeks total in Belize and have barely scratched the surface. Just figure anything you don't fit in this trip is just an excuse to return.

For most 1st timers, splitting between an inland stop (often the San Ignacio area) and a beachy place (Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker, and Placencia are probably the most popular) is a good way to fit everything in. Happy planning!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,003 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize: First-Timers

PS I wouldn't consider Dangriga as a base, personally. We liked Placencia but it's not the best base for visits to Maya sites, caving, or snorkeling/diving (since the reef is so far out). Just my 2 cents' worth...

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,369 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize: First-Timers

I second the suggestion to split your trip between beach and mainland, but if not, either Placencia or Hopkins, which is only 10 miles from the reef

Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize: First-Timers

For access to the reef, I'd stay on either Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker. Which one you choose will depend on budgets and whether you prefer lots of shops, restaurants, nightlife (AC), or a lower budget, quieter village atmosphere (CC).

For access to inland activities, I'd stay in or near San Ignacio. You could find a hotel in town, or choose one of the jungle lodges.

Good luck keeping 10+ people happy!

Central America
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belize: First-Timers

With 10 guests, chartering a big catamaran starts working out pretty favorably compared to nicer shore side accommodations.

And, you get to move your "hotel" wherever you want it. Start in northern Belize and work your way south...island hopping all the way down.

United States
Level Contributor
9,423 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belize: First-Timers

Would suggest combination of San Ignacio and either Ambergris or Caulker Caye. We also stayed in Placencia in between but after seeing the beaches and water in the Cayes the beach in Placencia was not as beautiful. Dangriga was not recommended as a top place to stay on a first visit (at least to us).

7. Re: Belize: First-Timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Belize City