We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus From Cancun to Belize City

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Bus From Cancun to Belize City

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good, fast and reliable bus company I can use to get from Cancun (or even Playa del Carmen) to Belize City? I'm looking to reach Caye Caulker but not sure how to get there once in Belize City.

Thanks in advance.

David

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus From Cancun to Belize City

ADO is the main bus carrier in the area. A bus from Cancun to the border city of Chetumal takes about six hours. From there, you'll have to change buses to ge to Belize City. I don't know how long that takes.

From Chetumal, if the timing is right, you could catch a water taxi to Ambergris Caye, once there another short water taxi ride to Caye Caulker.

Or, cross the border to Corozal, catch a 25 minute plane to Ambergris, then water taxi to Caulker.

If you do take the bus to Belize City, then you'd catch a water taxi from there to Caye Caulker, around 45 minutes.

Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus From Cancun to Belize City

From the bus terminal in Chetumal there is a bus that leaves for Flores, Guatamala that goes through Belize City. The Ado buses in Mexico are nice buses but they always have the AC cranked. Dress warm.

Cheers,

Carlos

Caribbean
Level Contributor
6,834 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus From Cancun to Belize City

There are frequent ADO express buses between Cancun & Playa & Chetumal. You can get all the schedules on the ticketbus site:

http://www.ticketbus.com.mx/wtbkd/index.jsp

Also, check my site for more detailed information about that trip:

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

If the ticketbus site doesn't work for you, check the BelizeBus section about how to get it to work.

The BelizeBus site has all the options to get to Caye Caulker. You can now get a water taxi from Chetumal to San Pedro and then to CC on the same day for US$35.

By bus, the Mexican buses don't go into Belize, so you could get a Belizean bus, but you would have to get to Belize City before the last water. The BelizeBus site has links to the water taxi schedules & fares.

If you stay a night in Chetumal, there is an early morning Linea Dorada bus from the ADO terminal to the water taxi terminal in BC.

There are 2 water taxi companies operating from BC. All the info is on BelizeBus.

Edited: 11:40 am, June 08, 2010
London
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus From Cancun to Belize City

Thanks everyone for your swift replies!

Corozal
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus From Cancun to Belize City

The currier bus from Cancun to Chetumal is ADO Bus line with really nice aircondition. From Chetumal to Belize there are buses (mainly school buses) that you can get but it takes some time and the last bus leaves Chetumal at 5 pm. If you want to travel that same day you could contact Belize VIP Transfers - Henry and his staff are great I always have them pick me up and help me through the border.

6. Re: Bus From Cancun to Belize City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 01, 2011