We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how bad are the sand flies??

Which Belize City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
washington state
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how bad are the sand flies??

i am planning on going this summer but have read some nasty things about the sand flies (in rooms, beds, etc)...are they that bad?? i am looking at the hopkins area but would consider other beach locations if they were better in that respect...anyone who has some info on this would be appreciated.

washington state
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: how bad are the sand flies??

I would also like to know if it would be better to go to coco plum caye? i have read that they are not as bad on that island but don't know if that is true or not?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how bad are the sand flies??

I've been to Ambergris a couple times in June and September and have never had a problem with sand fleas. We do stay fairly close to town. Mosquitos are another matter, they can be pretty bad when the wind dies down. As long as we remembered to use the OFF, it was fine. Most of the beach bars have a spray can as well if you get caught out at dusk without repellant.

washington state
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: how bad are the sand flies??

thanks....have you ever been to coco plum or the hopkins area? how do you think those areas rate compared to ambergris caye? i think we want a little less crowds....

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how bad are the sand flies??

Have been in June and October--no sand fleas on Ambergris, but we use Off morning and evening for the mosquitos. Not really sure what people mean about crowded on Ambergris. Sure, at noon in the center of town there's a bit of a crowd, mostly school kids going home for lunch. Have not yet been to Hopkins, but have driven north and west of Belize City, and there's a lot of open country! Ambergris offers a lot of variety with tours, restaurants, and type of resort. Remember, none are over 3 stories, and most are really small properties, say 20 rooms or less. I can see things getting a bit busy right about now, with high season, but in June you can walk the beach and see maybe 1-2 other people.

5. Re: how bad are the sand flies??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, September 20, 2009