We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Belize City
Search

W Collet Canal station and taxis

Central Finland...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
W Collet Canal station and taxis
Save

Hi, I'm arriving from Mexico to Belize and have read that this Belizean bus terminal is located in sketchy area. As far as I know, the ADO bus arrives around 4 or 5pm. I don't want to risk of missing the last boat to Caye Caulker so I have booked one night accommodation in Belize City. First I thought I could walk from the bus terminal to my hostel, but everyone advice not to walk even on daylight. My question is are there reliable taxis at West Collet Canal terminal or where should I find one? Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula, Chetumal
Level Contributor
12,584 posts
1. Re: W Collet Canal station and taxis
Save

I don't know where the hostel is, but if it's not too far from the bus terminal, you should be fine walking. It might appear sketchy, but it's the downtown area, and there will be a lot of people on the streets -- just be aware of your surroundings.

If you want a taxi, they wait outside the bus terminal.

Taxis in Belize usually don’t have any markings, and I haven’t yet seen one with a meter. They can be identified by a green license plate that displays, in white, the letter “D” followed by four digits. The standard fare for short trips in most cities and towns is BZ$5.00 to $7.00 per taxi (not per passenger).

Central Finland...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: W Collet Canal station and taxis
Save

Thanks again for your help :) The distance is about 600 m from the West Collet Canal so it's not that far. But many people suggested that it's not safe to walk if you have your large luggage/backpack with you.

I also heard that there have been some gang-related violence on nearby George Street (my hostel is like one block from that street). So it's nice to hear that taxis are waiting.

Reply to: W Collet Canal station and taxis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belize City