We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Belize in Dec 2017

Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Belize in Dec 2017

We are planning a Christmas trip with 6 adults this December. We are staying at an Air BNB in Placencia, flying into Belize City. We thought it would be most cost effective to rent a car. Is this true? Is it safe to drive here? What car rentals do you suggest ? I was quoted a great rate from Tropical Belize Car rental ? Are they decent? What tour company do you recommend to do kayak the caves etc.

Thanks of any advice you may have.

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
7 replies to this topic
Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
243 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Belize in Dec 2017

We drove all over Belize (from BZE to San Ignacio, all over to tours, to Placencia, and then back to BC where we flew to Ambergris Caye) with our kids without any trouble, you'll be fine. We used Crystal and had a great experience.

If you have a car, you don't need to hire a tour company to get you anywhere, you can drive yourself. We did the River Cave Expedition with Ian Anderson and drove ourselves. Check out their tours on their website. Also check out Pacz Tours and Maya Walk Tours websites, I used them to get an idea of what we wanted to do.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Philip S.W. Goldson Intl Airport
Philip S.W. Goldson Intl...
Belize City, Belize
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
2. Re: First trip to Belize in Dec 2017

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, July 22, 2017

Toronto
Level Contributor
17 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Belize in Dec 2017

Hi there, can you tell me where you are staying for your Airbnb as I am hoping to bring the family to belize also in December and have never been.

Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Belize in Dec 2017

SaraJaneC5 https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7006866 is where we are staying .

Good luck

London, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Belize in Dec 2017

Hi RrBlue,

I just booked a trip yesterday for Dec as well. Dec 15-25 to be exact. I am torn between which city to stay at. We are a group of 4 people so we will just need 1 room but not sure if I should book a hotel in 1 city and do day tours or live everywhere for a day or 2. I bought my flight through expedia so I get deals on tours and hotels (most are sold out) so might have to airbnb it. For tours, I see deals for Jaguar Ventures (anyone have any preference?).

Also, regarding renting and doing day tours, renting a car (SUV) is about $900. would tour be cheaper? as we also get a guide with that and do not have to worry about driving.

Thanks for your help!

6. Re: First trip to Belize in Dec 2017

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, October 26, 2017

Mississauga, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Belize in Dec 2017

I am going to Belize for a week in dec too. Dec 15-22. I will spend 4 nights in San Ignacio and 3 nights in Belize city. Will do horse back riding in San Ignacio and Belize zoo on the way back from San Ignacio to Belize city. Will do cave tubing in Belize city. We are deciding not renting a car but book the shuttle instead. Mine is family of 4 (2 adult and 2 kids )

See you in Belize.

Mentioned in this post
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Reply to: First trip to Belize in Dec 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belize City