We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize City - Airport to bus terminal - options?

Which Belize City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
70 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Belize City - Airport to bus terminal - options?

We will be arriving in Belize City and plan to head to San Ignacio right away. We intend to take a bus from the main bus terminal in Belize City. Has anyone done this? Should we just take a taxi from the airport to the bus terminal, or is there a cheaper option? Buses still run every hour?

Thanks.

Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize City - Airport to bus terminal - options?

Orchard

Hello!

From the airport you take a taxi which is $25 US. You can obviously share taxi cost but everyone MUST be going to the bus station. There is only one stop per taxi.

Ask the driver to take you to the bust station AKA "Novelos" that used to be the bus companies name. Once, at the station you will walking and buy your tickets to San Ignacio. You have 2 options jump on the next bus available - what I call "fresh-air" buses/they are school buses. Or you can take an express bus which is like a chartered bus. The express bus will get you to SI faster and in a bit more comfort. The express bus usually takes 2 hrs, and should have AC (though one never knows if it will work/or be too cold).

I usually take the fresh air bus, even if it takes longer, there are more stops but, with the windows down, cool air blowing in, and the Kriol flying it is fine way to travel. It is a nice way to see some of the country. If you have luggage it will go in over head containers, or in the way back, or up by the driver. I have had no problems with stolen or lost luggage (but of course anything can happen).

You will stop in Belmopan in the capital -do not get out you still have aways to go! It takes 2-3 hours to get to SI (depends on the drive and stops/crowds)

Approximate cost:

Regular bus = 7 BZ

Express = 11 or 12 BZ

* If you are staying at a resort, or hotel in San Ignacio some do offer pickups to the airport and drive you into SI for a fee. It varies due to fuel costs.

Hope this helps!

Safe travels :)

TB

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
70 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize City - Airport to bus terminal - options?

Trvlbug - Thanks so much for this info. We leave tomorrow! It will be a fun time!

Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize City - Airport to bus terminal - options?

OCHARD

I hope everything went smoothly with the taxi/bus and you made it to SI.

Cayo is one of my most favorite spots enna Belize!

Have a great time on your trip :)!

TB

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
70 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize City - Airport to bus terminal - options?

We had a great time. We ended up taking the SI shuttle @ sanignacioshuttle.com - They were affiliated with the folks at trekstop and were nice.

Coming back we took the school bus and stopped off at the zoo. That worked great and we left our bags in the gift shop. Then walking out a tourist bus heading east on the highway actually picked us up and took us to the water taxis - The charged $10 BZD each but we figured it was worth the slight extra money for the nicer bus and not having to worry about getting to the water taxi from the bus station. Only problem was that the driver spoke no english and I initially wasn't sure where we were going. It's all good, and part of the experience.

5. Re: Belize City - Airport to bus terminal - options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:24 am, August 27, 2009