We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize Zoo Suitable for a 2 yr old?

DC
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Belize Zoo Suitable for a 2 yr old?

Hello, I am taking my 2 yo daughter on a trip at the end of January. After seeing pictures of the Belize Zoo, I thought taking her to visit would be fun. Is the zoo suitable for a fairly resilient 2 year old who loves animals? Are there better options for us?

We are staying 4 nights in Ambergis Caye and I wanted to come into the mainland for about 2 nights at the end of our trip.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
The Belize Zoo
The Belize Zoo
1,676 Reviews
La Democracia, Belize
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,364 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize Zoo Suitable for a 2 yr old?

We just visited the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle with our 16-month-old granddaughter yesterday and she had a blast, despite the freezing temps. She laughed and pointed and practiced saying the names of the animals; I printed some photos of the highlights and she's been packing them around, talking up a storm all day. She would LOVE the Belize Zoo and I suspect your daughter would, too, Take bug stuff and go early if it's a cruise ship day. Happy trails!

Mentioned in this post
The Belize Zoo
The Belize Zoo
1,676 Reviews
La Democracia, Belize
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize Zoo Suitable for a 2 yr old?

The Belize Zoo is super cool - we spent the better part of a day there and did the various animal encounters they offered. The boa and the jaguar encounters might not be the best for a two year old, but she might be able to handle the tapir encounter and the toucan encounter.

Mentioned in this post
The Belize Zoo
The Belize Zoo
1,676 Reviews
La Democracia, Belize
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
97 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize Zoo Suitable for a 2 yr old?

The Belize Zoo was really a blast for kids. Not too much walking and lot of good animals. If possible, get a zoo guide (not sure if you can hire them). We were with an animal enthusiast who had someone from the zoo accompany him. The zoo guy would call all these different animals with their food and they would come running from under cover when he called. Super cool.

Mentioned in this post
The Belize Zoo
The Belize Zoo
1,676 Reviews
La Democracia, Belize
DC
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize Zoo Suitable for a 2 yr old?

Thank you all for your responses. We leave on Friday and decided to stay in Burrell Boom to go to the Zoo and the howler monkey sanctuary. I will give a report on how things go!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Belize Zoo Suitable for a 2 yr old?

How did it go?

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Belize Zoo Suitable for a 2 yr old?

How did it go?

DC
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belize Zoo Suitable for a 2 yr old?

We decided to stay at the Black Orchid in Burrel Boom so we could see both the Howler Monkey Sanctuary and the Belize Zoo. It was such a great decision. Both were about 20 minutes from the hotel and both perfect for her and her little legs.

The Howler Monkey Sanctuary was great because she loved running down the trail and looking around. She was actually the first one to spot the family of monkeys and was SOOO excited. It was shaded the whole time so I didn't have to worry about sunscreen and bugs were not an issue.

It was hot the day we visited the Belize Zoo but most of the time we were under canopy. From the moment we walked in she was racing to see the next animal. We hired a guide from the hotel who was so great with Cora. I regret not writing his name down. He knew so much about the animals and their relationship to different areas of Belize and took care to get a tapir to nuzzle her. He was her best friend by the time the day was done. She was hot and tired after we spent nearly two hours there but if she had the energy she would have stayed longer.

It's been 5 months and she still talks about how much the jaguarundi loved her and how she got to pet a tapirs nose!

Mentioned in this post
Black Orchid Resort
Black Orchid Resort
622 Reviews
Burrell Boom, Belize
The Belize Zoo
The Belize Zoo
1,676 Reviews
La Democracia, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
8. Re: Belize Zoo Suitable for a 2 yr old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 27, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Belize City