We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Belize Bucket List

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Belize Bucket List

We are hoping to spend 3-4 days in Belize in early May, primarily for two reasons: Tikal and snorkeling. Could really used help in figuring out where to stay to easily journey to Tikal and yet have access to local snorkeling areas without having to relocate to different accomodations throughout Belize - and distance to/from airport so I know when to book departing flight. Won't have car so probably need to arrange tour to Tikal (?). Appears wise to stay at least one night near the ruins too so good economic accomodation suggestions are also appreciated. Thanks for any replies.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Belize Bucket List

It's at least 5 hours between Belize City and Tikal by road plus the time you'd take getting to BC via ferry or flight from Ambergris or Caulker, your easiest bets for a quick snorkeling trip. That means you'd basically blow most of a day getting there and a day back which doesn't leave much time for snorkeling. Can you afford to fly? I think Tropic Air has flights from BC to Flores which is an hour or so from Tikal.

http://www.tropicair.com/

There are budget lodging options in Flores and El Remate (60 and 30 minutes from Tikal, respectively) but stay in the park if you can swing it; my favorite hotel there is the Tikal Inn.

www.tikalinnsunrise.com

I'm not usually a guided tour sort of a gal but archaeologist/naturalist Roxy Ortiz is amazing:

www.tikalroxy.blogspot.com

Hope that helps! Happy trails!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Belize Bucket List

Thank you, Hopefulist, for the info. Yep, too far to drive and still spend time in Caulkner Cay, which looks to be our preferred snorkeling spot. Do you know anything about the ruins at Lamanai? Do they pale by comparison? We're going to CR next - with mediocre snorkeling, I've heard, so hoping for extraordinary by stopping in Belize, plus some cultural history. May rethink and go to ??? instead.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Belize Bucket List

Lamanai is pretty nice and includes a cool river boat trip to get there. It would give you a little taste of Belize. It's no Tikal, though. Guatemala is the cultural highlight of the region IMO - maybe plan for at least a few weeks there on a future trip?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Belize Bucket List

Again, thanks. Now I'm going to take advantage of your area expertise again by asking if you have any fav accomodations in Caye Caulkner or can recommend any river boat tour companies for a trip to Lananai. Or how do you feel about Honduras or Nicaragua as a replacement for Belize (now there's a broad question:)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Belize Bucket List

If you go to my photo site

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

and click on the 2009 Belize collection, there's a travelogue link - should have our Lamanai provider's contact info.

We liked Sailwinds apartments and would consider Maxhapan Cabins another time. I haven't been to Nicaragua but we enjoy Honduras - loads of pictures and recommendations in the Honduras collections on my flickr site. 3-4 days isn't enough time to see ruins and snorkel in Honduras imo - sites are much closer together in Belize. Good luck!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Belize Bucket List

Wow, hopefulist, fantastic photos! And what wonderful travels you've experienced in Central Ameica. I am seeing that Belize would offer the most bang for our buck in diverse adventures in a short period of time so looks to be the winner. Have ONE more question. As we are going for focus on excursions - snorkeling, ruins, maybe zipline, caves, it appears that the less expensive - yet qualified - tour guides all leave from Belize City. This would require taking a boat back and forth daily - perhaps an unnecessary expense. Can you find any reason to enjoy staying somewhere around Belize City? Doesn't garner rave reviews, but far more practical for tours in our short period of time than caye-stays. If doable, any suggestions for accomodation in interesting (and safe) areas? Appreciate all your help!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Belize Bucket List

I've researched a bit but have no personal experience staying closer than the zoo or the Community Baboon Sanctuary. Any chance you can stretch your trip out by a few days? With 6 or 7 nights you could spend some time inland and then head to the beach.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Belize Bucket List

Might be possible. Going to rethink all itinerary. THanks again!!

9. Re: Help with Belize Bucket List

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 02, 2014