We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blackbird, Huracan, Turneffe Resort OR Turneffe Flats?

boson, ma
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Blackbird, Huracan, Turneffe Resort OR Turneffe Flats?

I will be snorkeling everyday and want to see as many sites as possible. Hard to choose - what are the main differences? Thanks so much!!!!

2 replies to this topic
luv2roam
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Blackbird, Huracan, Turneffe Resort OR Turneffe Flats?

I went to Belize for two weeks in December through a company called Adventure Life and spent the middle of the trip at Turneffe Flats. The snorkeling was truly the best I have ever experienced. I spent half the week snorkeling and exploring with Abel (he is their adventure guide). We saw SO much. He is absolutely incredible. We had a waterproof camera that he would dive down and take these amazing up-close pictures of the coral, rays, fish.... The second week I was flats fishing with my boyfriend. Turneffe Flats is right in the middle of the Atoll and so between the snorkeling and the fishing, I think we saw every corner of the atoll. We fished the furthest north and south points and snorkeled on both the east and west sides of the atoll. I can't speak for the other lodges (I did see them while we were cruising around) but I really liked the location of Turneffe Flats and I would go back in a heartbeat to explore around with Abel again. The atmosphere at the lodge was just the right mix of comfortable and nice. I felt right at home but also well taken care of. After, we went to the Turtle Inn in Placencia, which is a very high-end, small resort. It was beautiful and we were incredibly pampered, but it made me appreciate how much more comfortable I felt at Turneffe.

It is hard to choose but I admit I was VERY pleased with my choice of Turneffe Flats. No complaints, and we are already saving for our next trip there! We just hope to bring our friends with us next time!

Port Chester, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blackbird, Huracan, Turneffe Resort OR Turneffe Flats?

I second this description and evaluation of snorkeling with Abel at Turneffe Flats. Extraordinary. Spent a week there a couple of weeks ago. I don't know anything about the other places. Just be aware that the resort is very small and isolated and your experience will be affected by how well you get along with the other guests who are there when you are, since that is with whom you will spend your evenings. We enjoyed our fellow guests but I can see that it wouldn't necessarily be that way. This isn't a complaint, just a description. I highly recommend the place.

Reply to: Blackbird, Huracan, Turneffe Resort OR Turneffe Flats?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted