We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glovers Atoll resort

3 posts
Save Topic
Glovers Atoll resort

Has anyone been to Thisnresortband stayed n the thatched roof cabins? they serve meals, too...and its very cheap. How is it? I am very interested in the qualitybof the snorkeling.

6 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,075 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glovers Atoll resort

We've enjoyed 2 weeks at Glover's Atoll Resort - 2003 and 2009 - though I have reservations about recommending it because it's very rough around the edges and some visitors have had problems. Be sure to read the website thoroughly as well as all the Trip Advisor reviews so you'll have realistic expectations. It's barely a step above camping. There's no running water or electricity in the cabins. They have solar bag showers set up for folks to use but the water is brackish, doesn't smell so great. Who needs to shower when you're spending all day snorkeling and diving anyway? :-)

We have prepared all our own meals so I can't comment on the food. If you decide to go that route I'd be happy to share my food list. Keep in mind that you need to stay the full week for it to be a good value; mid week private boat transfers are expensive.

The snorkeling and diving is fantastic and my husband loves flyfishing out there - we're sure to return eventually. We wouldn't be willing to pay what the other 'resorts' on the Belize atolls charge so it's wonderful for us to have an relatively inexpensive way to experience that part of the Caribbean. My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you'd like to check them out. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Edited: 8:46 pm, November 18, 2013
Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glovers Atoll resort

Beautiful setting but lots of mixed experiences.

Less likely to have issues with other places. Also see MariSol.

The atoll itself is spectacular no matter where you stay.

California
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glovers Atoll resort

You mentioned meals. Yes they serve meals. Breakfast and lunch are about $12 each. Dinner is $18. They add tax to this. I found the price of the meals for what was given very high. The first night we were there I was too tired to cook so we had a meal. I am honest when I say I got one tiny chicken leg, I mean tiny. I complained nicely the next day and they said there was some problem and that the next nights dinner would be no charge. Well the next night we had baracuda (it was served almost every day which I could not understand as there are so many other fish there) and it was so over spiced and salty that I could hardly eat it. So we cooked every meal after that ourselves and purchased fresh fish and it was great. Being at Glover's was an experience that one will not forget. If you go, be prepared and you will have an adventure.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,075 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glovers Atoll resort

I think the meal quality varies hugely by who is cooking. We've always prepared our own meals but our last visit the other guests raved about the food; apparently it was a cook from the mainland who brings his family out for a few weeks every summer and cooks in exchange for their time there. We find planning and preparing our own meals to be part of the charm.

Here the photo set from our 2009 visit:

flickr.com/photos/…

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glovers Atoll resort

Hi, Thanks for all the helpful information you've posted about Glover's Reef Atoll. We are going later this month and I would love to have your suggested food list.

Peace

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,075 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glovers Atoll resort

Here you go!

Brought from home:

dehydrated drink mixes including powdered milk (2003 only)

meal starters - dehydrated sauce mixes like alfredo

dehydrated eggs (2003 only)

spices

small grater (2009 only, for making crystalized coconut candy with grated coconut and sugar.)

heavy duty home-made granola bars - great protein on the go

_______

Purchased at Reynold's Supermarket in Sittee River Village (2003) or at groceries in Hopkins (2009):

beans

rice

spaghetti noodles

Marie Sharp's Hot Sauce

sugar

weird cheese that doesn't need refrigeration

cooking oil

candles

matches

eggs that we ate while staying in Sittee (2003)

boxed, shelf-stable milk and fruit juice (2009 only)

rum (bought in Hopkins both trips)

_______

Purchased from the produce guy that comes around in Sittee (2003) or at produce stands in Hopkins (2009):

carrots

pineapples

oranges

grapefruit

turnips

avocados

can't remember what else - lots of fruit and vegies

_______

Purchased from Becky on the island:

water

french bread

You can keep fish caught outside the marine reserve or buy fish, whole or fileted or lobster (seasonal)

LOTS of coconuts - free!

Reply to: Glovers Atoll resort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted