We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glovers atoll resort or slickrock at long caye?

Danville, California
Level Contributor
33 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Glovers atoll resort or slickrock at long caye?

We love to snorkel, kayak and fish. Which place offers the best, easiest opportunities?

9 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glovers atoll resort or slickrock at long caye?

Access is great both places; the main differences are in amenities and cost. Glover's Atoll Resort doesn't offer electricity or running water, barely a step up from camping (which is also available). It's about as un "resort" as you can get. We've really enjoyed our stays and are sure to return but it does get mixed reviews. I'm heard great things about Slickrock but the cost will always keep us away. Happy trails!

http://www.glovers.com.bz/

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glovers atoll resort or slickrock at long caye?

You can't compare the two. Slickrock, without a doubt, for many reasons.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
252 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glovers atoll resort or slickrock at long caye?

Agreed - I don't think the two really compete with each other as they appeal to different travel styles beyond the fact that both mean "getting away from it all."

Slickrock's deal on Long Caye is inclusive watersports (incl. everything the OP mentioned, plus windsurfing, kiteboarding, SUP, paddle and kayak surfing; diving can be arranged with the neighboring resort) with excellent guides, excellent (and well-maintained) equipment, and excellent food. You learn about the reef and play hard between Belikins and naps in the hammock. The palapa huts are quite comfortable and each has a wind/solar-powered light. They have showers, drinking water, etc. but as plush as that sounds (it is!), it's still probably way too rustic for the majority of visitors to Belize.

It's my understanding that Glovers Reef Resort is aimed at the DIY/backpacker set, and that any activities one does are self-guided in addition to the DIY food and water. Is that a fair assessment of the latter? I have not been (though I have seen it from across the water) and my understanding is based on what I've heard and read.

Edited: 12:43 pm, January 21, 2014
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glovers atoll resort or slickrock at long caye?

They have a dive shop (I did my OW certification there 10 years ago, great experience) and can take you out snorkeling or fishing. They rent kayaks and snorkeling equipment by the day or week and can provide all meals. You can buy drinking water. If you cook for yourselves you can buy fresh fish, lobster in season, french bread, and more. Coconuts are free. :-)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glovers atoll resort or slickrock at long caye?

Oh - they also provide trips to see whale sharks, dive other atolls, etc. - lots of info on their website:

http://www.glovers.com.bz/

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glovers atoll resort or slickrock at long caye?

And look at islandexpeditions.com, more similar to SR

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
252 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glovers atoll resort or slickrock at long caye?

Thanks for keeping me honest! :-)

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glovers atoll resort or slickrock at long caye?

is it easy to get to this atoll from Placencia?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glovers atoll resort or slickrock at long caye?

Depends on what you mean by 'easy'. It wouldn't be hard to arrange with a dive shop in Placencia, but plan on them requiring a certain minimum number to go. 4 or 6, maybe? If there aren't that many in your party, you might be out of luck unless you have a lot of flexibility. If you ask far in advance, maybe they could pull a group together; obviously more likely during the busy months than the lean season.

It's about 40 miles each way and half of that is outside the reef; the crossing can be rough, especially later in the day. So that part might be decidedly UNeasy if you're prone to ocean sickness.

I wouldn't consider going for just a day - way too much $$ and time on the boat for not much time at Glover's. Happy trails!

Reply to: Glovers atoll resort or slickrock at long caye?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted