We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling from Shore?

Delaware
2 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling from Shore?

Where are the best places to snorkel from Shore- Amergris or Caulker Cayes, or other caye? We are making a quick trip to Belize in April and will stay a few days in the Cayo District before heading toward the water for two or three days. In addition to finding a good snorkel tour, we would like to be able to snorkel on our own.

Thank you for suggestions- even about where to sleep! $$ not a major concern for the right place. We are sleeing rustic in Santa Elena so a little more comfort might be nice.

Thanks for your help!

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling from Shore?

The snorkeling from shore isn't good on Caye Caulker. Too much turtle grass and calm water. You can snorkel at the split. My wife enjoyed it but it pales in comparison to the reef. I don't think Ambergris Caye is much better for the same reason.

There are some much smaller Cayes and Atolls nearer the reef but snorkeling will need to be the highlight and you're still staying rustic. My memory is failing me on the names but someone will post them.

We go to Caye Caulker and like it. Been there a couple of times.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling from Shore?

Best bet is to just do a snorkel trip with someone. Amigos Del Mar works in Ambergris and it is like $35 to $40 to do it. You want to do the Hol Chan reserve for sure.

Other than that there is not great snorkeling off the shore.

new york
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling from Shore?

Check into staying on Glovers, For the less rustic there is Isla Marisol and I'm not sure when Manta resort is re opening! We are looking for great snoreling and tat is where we will head next year! Please post when you return!!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,865 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling from Shore?

Lodges on Turneffe are remote, but not rustic and have ac, as does Blue Marlin on Souh Water Caye.

5. Re: Snorkeling from Shore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, August 23, 2009