We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach Location?

Green Bay
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beach Location?

I recently stumbled upon Caye Caulker while looking for a May vacation spot. My wife & I like the "laid back" vacations without too much of the tourist trappings. Our last trip was to Negril (also in May). The one & only requirement of my wife is to be on the beach.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!!!

Dennis in the Frozen Tundra

Mentioned in this post
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,506 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,389 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beach Location?

Caye Caulker doesn't have much in the way true beach. About the only place I've seen people swimming and hanging out is at the 'split', a waterway that bisects the island,caused by hurricane several years ago.

I like Caye Caulker, but if beautiful beach is a priority you might not be happy there. I'd look at either Placencia or Ambergris Caye, both have better beaches. Most people think the beaches are better at Placencia, and they certainly are wider and are pretty. But, the sand isn't as white or as soft as Ambergris.

Although I've never been to Negril, I'm pretty sure all three locations are going to be WAY quieter.

Mentioned in this post
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,506 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beach Location?

Laid back would certainly describe Caye Caulker. If you enjoy being at the beach or sitting in the sun, Caulker is pretty good. If you want waves and swimming, you may need to consider elsewhere. The reef makes for great snorkeling but eliminates most of the wave action. The problem with the swimming is the turtle grass growing in close to shore. Its also very shallow.

We've been to Caye Caulker a couple of times and like it. We're going back in Feb. We like the attitude there. We also like the people, both locals and tourists. Its a friendly place.

There's a bunch of pictures on our website that will let you see what the place looks like. You can get a good idea of the beaches and see the split.

www.alandsuejohnson.com

Click on trip reports for the easiest way to find the information.

I agree with JeanH that Negril at is deadest is likely move active than Caye Caulker. On the other hand, that's why we like it.

Mentioned in this post
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,506 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
3. Re: Best Beach Location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker