We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa del Carmen to Caye Caulker..info. please

Montreal, Qc.
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Playa del Carmen to Caye Caulker..info. please

We are 4 adults leaving Playa del Carmen by bus to Chetumal Terminal. Once there can we take a taxi (all 4) through Belize to the Taxi boat, then cross over to Caye Caulker, and how much would this cost? I am told the local buses through Belize are slow and hot. Some say we should go to Tropic Air Corozal and fly to San Pedro, Ambergris, then take the taxi boat to Caye Caulker. Do you know what this option will cost? Chetumal to Corozal $, then the flight to San Pedro $, then another taxi to get us to the taxi boat $, and then the cost of the taxi boat to Caye Caulker $

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa del Carmen to Caye Caulker..info. please

I don't know for certain about the taxi from Chetumal to Corozal but I think it's about $25US. Be sure to get a taxi that will take you across the border and not just drop you off so that you have to get another taxi on the other side.

Tropic Air - Corozal to San Pedro - $40.50US

It will take less than 10 minutes to walk to the water taxi dock from the San Pedro airstrip so unless you have a ton of luggage there is no need for a taxi. If you decide to take one anyway, it will cost about $5US.

The water taxi from San Pedro to Caye Caulker is $10US.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,329 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa del Carmen to Caye Caulker..info. please

We did part of this trip in September. We had hired a transfer company to meet us and take us across the border and to the air strip in Corozal. It's $10.00US per person. In fact, we got across the border so fast we were way early and the driver dropped us off for lunch then came back and picked us up and took us to the air strip.

Montreal, Qc.
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa del Carmen to Caye Caulker..info. please

Thanks to all for the replies.

Has anyone taken the bus from Chetumal through Belize to the Marine Terminal (taxi boat, 45min. ride to Caye Caulker) and what is this bus ride like? Do you know the cost, and where to get this bus?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,329 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa del Carmen to Caye Caulker..info. please

As I understand it, but this message is second hand, the bus to Belize no longer leaves from the bus station in Chetumal. It leaves from some place called the 'new market'.

It sounds like the bus system in Belize is sort of a mess right now. There aren't any on line schedules, at least now any that are accurate.

chicago
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa del Carmen to Caye Caulker..info. please

if u are on a budget i would suggest taking the bus from chetumal to belize city, and then the water taxi to either san pedro or caye cauker , believe they leave like every hour, buses in belize are like the ones in jamaica, old school buses brightly painted, seats are kinda cramped, but the ride is not that bad, plus u get to see the countryside, people are very friendly.flying for me was too expensive, and i had much more fun on the bus, as for slow quite the opposit, they drive like they do in mexico...hot yes, but windows do open, and very cool breezes...have fun...i had a great time....

6. Re: Playa del Carmen to Caye Caulker..info. please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, August 12, 2009