We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BYOSG (bring your own snorkeling gear)?

Seattle
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
BYOSG (bring your own snorkeling gear)?

So, whaddya think - it is a crazy idea to bring your own snorkeling gear from the US to Belize? Good idea? Not worth the effort?

Lay it on me!

Thanks.

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BYOSG (bring your own snorkeling gear)?

That depends on how much you like to snorkel. I take mine with me all the time, but then I'm a diver, so I have all my gear. But if I were planning on snorkelling (not diving) more than once, while on vacation, I'd still take it with me.

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: BYOSG (bring your own snorkeling gear)?

All of the snorkel shops on Caye Caulker include equipment with the tours. No need to drag such bulky stuff along. Save the space for the souvenirs you will take back instead.

Thanks and cheers,

Wendy Auxillou

Auxillou Beach Suites

Caye Caulker, Belize

Seattle
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: BYOSG (bring your own snorkeling gear)?

Do the tour companies charge less if you have your own? How much do they charge to rent gear? Maybe it would be a lot cheaper since I plan to snorkel at least 3-4 times.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BYOSG (bring your own snorkeling gear)?

I don't recall there being much of a difference. We have gear and take it. Its about the only we get to snorkel. I wouldn't buy gear for the trip but would take it if I had it and it wasn't too much trouble. We've snorkeled with two places on Caulker and both had decent equipment.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,563 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BYOSG (bring your own snorkeling gear)?

I take my mask and snorkel and rent fins. When I'm just snorkeling off our dock I don't need fins anyway. Renting isn't all that expensive, but if you don't bring fins, the gear doesn't take that much room.

utah
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: BYOSG (bring your own snorkeling gear)?

We have rented and taken our own, I prefer my own--but the rental stuff has always been fine. If you want to buy it google--there are alot of great deals online. I like leisurepro.com they have great deals on great equiptment, and the shipping is very reasonable-even to overnight or next day.

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: BYOSG (bring your own snorkeling gear)?

On CC you are discounted $2.50 U.S. per tour for having your own equipment, hardly worth the trouble.

Thanks and cheers,

Wendy Auxillou

Auxillou Beach Suites

Caye Caulker, Belize

utah
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: BYOSG (bring your own snorkeling gear)?

It's not the price that is the reason I take my own. It fits better--you can adjust it for a more comfortable dive/snorkle and have it fitted if you need to, I have it even if I'm not on a tour and want to snorkle on my own, and I like a mask that has a bigger lens so I can see more. So it may save 2.50 but I think it's well worth having your own. :)

Level Contributor
465 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BYOSG (bring your own snorkeling gear)?

Icard11 I agree with you. Also, how will you know if the stuff's been sanitized? Some places give you new mouth pieces, but some don't. We take our own mouth pieces and goggles and use their fins. The gear doesn't take up much room in the suitcase that way. Plenty of room for souvenirs, too!

oregon
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: BYOSG (bring your own snorkeling gear)?

I have seen the EZ-Boy tour people sanitize the rental dive gear and they do a good job chlorine wash the whole thing .But just the same it's nice to have my own gear on hand to use anytime without having to deal with rental process also using fins to guard fragile packed stuff is a good thing go ahead and purchase you will find a reason to use them like maybe a return trip to C.C Trawler1