We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best area to stay in Caye Caulker

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
best area to stay in Caye Caulker

Does anyone recommend a particular area to stay in Caye Caulker? My friends and I have found some places to rent on the south end of the island but are wondering if that's too close to the airport/too far from town to be enjoyable. Thanks!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,837 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best area to stay in Caye Caulker

The town is pretty small so you're never very far from the action. We prefer to be on the water on the east side to take advantage of the breezes.

Indy
Level Contributor
945 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best area to stay in Caye Caulker

I personally wouldn't want to stay south of town. We prefer to be right in the middle of everything. I think some people like to be a little away from town. Either way the island is small and easy to get around.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,837 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best area to stay in Caye Caulker

We stayed in the heart of town last time, just doors down from the dock in a private apt at what is now Yuma's. This time we've decided to stay further south so we have more of a feel of our own beach and dock for swimming and fishing. We plan to prepare most of our own meals and can walk up the beach into town or ride on the provided bikes.

http://www.colindacabanas.com/

Save Reply
4. Re: best area to stay in Caye Caulker

The Barrier Reef Inn, hands down, just built last year. Sooooo clean, fresh, and cozy. Definitely worth it!! Literally the nicest place in Caye caulker, but then again ive only stayed at like 4 or 5 places but trust me, this place is so beautiful.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best area to stay in Caye Caulker

I always liked Caye Caulker Condos. I've had friends say the Colinda Cabanas are great. I think being away from the center, which gets shady at night, would be a good idea. It's a small caye, so you can walk everywhere in a few minutes.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best area to stay in Caye Caulker

I was just on Caye Caulker in the beginning of July. I also had been looking at various places south of town. But after extensive research, I opted to be closer to town. I stayed at the Iguana Reef Inn which I HIGHLY recommend. The Iguana Reef is on the west side of the island in a quiet area but it is also in a convenient location as it is a very short walk to all of the "action." It has a great pool and a continental breakfast is included in your stay. In addition, the Iguana Reef dock is the best place to the watch the sunset. Otis, the Iguana Reef bartender, also makes fabulous drinks. So, even if you do not end up staying at the Iguana Reef, I would definitely recommend stopping by for sunset and a drink or two.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: best area to stay in Caye Caulker

You recommended this hotel to me as well- The Barrier Reef Inn, however, they do not have their own website- I am unable to price my stay with them and I can't even find an email to contact them. Are you advertising for them? Do you have some kind of connection with them? If so, can you post the information to price out a reservation?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: best area to stay in Caye Caulker

Ok- yay! Found The Barrier Reef Inn online woot woot! Looks amazing!!! Adventuregall- can you tell me where it is located, as now, I am unable to find it on a map. I want to see where it is in reference to the dive shop we are researching.

Susanville...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: best area to stay in Caye Caulker

We rented a house - Casita Bela Vida - on the south part of the island ...run away!!! This house was misrepresented and was almost enough to ruin our trip!!! Lucky for us we were able to find another spot near the split that was OUTSTANDING - Caye Reef. it was a bit pricy but really really nice!!! Casita Bela Vida was not as described - bugs everywhere in the house and no breeze, no air conditioning, trash around the mangroves, expensive cab ride - road not good for bicycles (ponds across the road after the rain). Stay closer to the town and stay away from Casita Bela Vida!!!

Rowayton...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: best area to stay in Caye Caulker

These people never stayed at our home !!!

Yours Truly,

Casita Bella Vida Owners

Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker