We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chetumal to Caye Caulker

Indy
Level Contributor
951 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Chetumal to Caye Caulker

Is there a water taxi from Chetumal to Caye Caulker or do you have to take it to Ambergris and then take a different water taxi from there to CC?

I have checked the website and it appears that they run to CC but read someones blog who said they went from Chetumal to AC and missed the last water taxi from AC to CC and had to spend the night in San Pedro.

nc Coast
Level Contributor
297 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Chetumal to Caye Caulker

That sounds all well and good but does not work ( for us at least ) in practice.

We entered BZ by shuttle From MX. Told them we were in transit. The guy charged us and took the card. We asked the driver and he said you can pay and cross or not pay and stay here and argue. We paid.

When entering Mx by boat from Caye Caulker we were informed at the dock in CC that Mx had started charging the fee to enter and they did...around 240 pesos. They told us you had to pay to enter and they would not let you go to ATM to get money ( in Chetumal )

We also paid the 37.50 BZ in San Pedro. I think you always pay this. If you are flying out of BZ it is likely included in the ticket cost.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Chetumal to Caye Caulker

FYI -

We took the water taxi from Chetumal to Caye Caulker a couple of weeks ago. Honestly, the websites LIE about everything. While it is a convenient way to get to Belize from Mexico, BUYER BEWARE:

IT TAKES 4 HOURS, not the 90 minutes advertised!

After you pay $45 per person, you are told there is a 160 Peso Port Fee and 290 Peso Departure Tax. They don't tell you ANY of this on their website. Also, the departure fee is included in your plane ticket, yet, they don't care, charge you twice and you are basically forced to do this to get on the bus.

Then everyone is lined up with bags in front. The police (with hands on their gun triggers) walk around and have a drug-sniffing dog inspect all luggage. Then you board a boat, that comfortably seats 20 of you, but there are 40 of you. It's stuffy and mildly claustrophobic and it's 2 hours until you disembark in San Pedro. There you go through Belizian Immigration (the easiest part of the whole trip). Then, you wait in a room for the boat to be ready to go to Caye Caulker (they tell you that the wait will be 20 minutes - it was more like 45). Finally you arrive.

Honestly, the experience wasn't totally horrible and was still probably shorter than the bus to Belize City, but both Water Taxi companies lie about everything and don't care that their website gives false info. So if you go this route, be prepared.

Dahab, Egypt
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Chetumal to Caye Caulker

It is not true. In Mexico there is an official departure fee, where you even get a receipt for. Also in Belize you pay to get in an out. It is now official and you get receipts everywhere. I did it in October 2013 and will do tomorrow March 3 2014. So good look, you better have 200 US in the pocket all the time when crossing borders there.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
11 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Chetumal to Caye Caulker

They have changed the rules again reference leaving via Chetumal to San Pedro.

If you can show on paper that the airline you landed at paid your entry visa then you do not have to pay the 306 pesos..

I found this out at the border and was lucky enough to be able to go into my KLM,s booking and find the details they kindly took a photo of it for me.

I will have to pay the visa cost when I go back.

15. Re: Chetumal to Caye Caulker

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, March 08, 2015