We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to expect on caye caulker first week in March 2011

Albuquerque, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
what to expect on caye caulker first week in March 2011

Me and my wife will be visiting Caye Caulker for the first time March 5 - 12. We are looking forward to experiencing as much of the island as possible. Any suggestions as far as dining, snorkeling, kayaking, also what is weather like first part of march. Any buisnesses that people have had good experiences with, suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to expect on caye caulker first week in March 2011

Hi,

I visited CC last year (early May) and wrote a blog which you may find useful:

simonseeks.com/travel-guides/carefree-caye-c…

It includes my recommendations for hotels, restaurants and nightlife and also ifo about the snorkelling trip we went on. We didn't do the kayaking.

Have a great time!

Clear Lake Iowa USA
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to expect on caye caulker first week in March 2011

You will love Caye Caulker.

We were just there and we loved everything. Every place we ate we liked. The food is good,plentiful and cheap. Go to Syds, on middle St., go thru the restaurant to the back garden. Order the Tostadas ( I went back twice for these) Stewed Chicken with Rice and Beans, or Borritos. Marins, the oldest restaurant on the island is a really cool restaurant on a side st. The food therre is also fabulous and cheap. For breakfast walk to the Caye Caulker Bakery on middle st next to the bank and get a cinn. roll, and then after 2pm go and buy a ham and cheese roll up. Yummy. On the other side of the bank is a purple fruit stand that has breakfast tacos or tortillas to take home for breakfast. Also, Femis and Wish Willys have cheap and delicious Lobster, Snapper and Chicken with all the trimmings. They are fun places to eat or have a beer. The Sandbox with all sand floors has picnic tables outside to eat at and a neat bar inside .

Chocolates, on front st. has a cool boutique with beautiful necklaces and purses and coverups. Calvin, across from the SandBox, makes nice jewelery. Also there are some handcarved bowls that a outside vendor makes.

Check out the Outdoor Theater . They have new movies and they are advertised everyday at the sandwich shop across from Raggamuffin Tours (I think)

Raggamuffin Tours- wonderful all day snorkel trip.

Have a great trip!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to expect on caye caulker first week in March 2011

You should have great weather. Hol Chan Marine Reserve is a must, and we've always used Raggamuffin tours for that. They even serve good food, ceviche, and run punch on the way back.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
86 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to expect on caye caulker first week in March 2011

The 'sports' bar for trivia night is really fun.

Weather will be mid 80's.

All the snorkling boats look the same and go to similar places. Maybe ask for a group of 10 max so its not too big.

also recommend the fruit stands, juice stands, shrimp on a stick guy by split at 230-300. and the bakery on the 'back street'

lazy lizard/split during the day if you are not on a tour and wanna mingle.

9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what to expect on caye caulker first week in March 2011

Any suggestions for a place to stay-near the beach- for a single woman middle aged! in early July for 7-10 days I have looked online at hotels and it is hard to tell one from another......I'd love to kayak, snorkel, swim, beach /island walk, experience the local life stye!

any suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,845 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to expect on caye caulker first week in March 2011

I haven't spent lots of time on Caye Caulker, but did spend a night at the Blue Wave Guest House this past March. Nice clean room. Had a/c, TV, right on the 'main street', but noise wasn't a problem. I liked the place, and the location.

I've also stayed at t De Real Macaw. It was fine as well, but, it's been a few years. I think Blue Wave is cheaper.

I also like the look of Mara's Place, although I haven't been inside.

There are some newer condo buildings, I don't know much about them, they're quite a bit more money.

Clear Lake Iowa USA
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to expect on caye caulker first week in March 2011

I second Blue Wave, my niece stayed there in October and loved it. Inexpensive, nice and clean, and ocean view on some rooms.

We stayed in Caye Caulker Condos in January, which were more expensive. We loved them and will go back there. They are just down the street a little ways. Also, ocean view with wonderful balconies. They have kitchens.

Next door was Maras place, as mentioned above. They did look very nice.

It is nice to walk / bike all over the island. Lots of snorkeling tours, and nice to kayak there. You will meet lots of nice people when walking around, eating at all the fun places and stopping for a drink.

All three of these places to stay are close to the split, a nice place to snorkel, sunbathe and have a drink or bite to eat.

8. Re: what to expect on caye caulker first week in March 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, October 10, 2012