We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in Caye Caulker

Clear Lake Iowa USA
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
1 week in Caye Caulker

Just got back from 1 week in Caye Caulker. We had a great time. Loved the island, the people, the views, the food and the snorkeling.

We stayed at Caye Caulker Condos #8, we highly recommend it.

We loved the food and setting at Syds, Marins, Jolly Rogers, Wish Willys, Sand Box, and the Caye Caulker Bakery.

Great juices at the fruit stands.

Chans Grocery , on middle street, has everything you need for groceries and is pretty reasonable.

All the banana, key lime, and pineapple breads from the street vendors are fabulous.

The cake ladys cakes are also fabulous.

We did a full day snorkel trip on a sailboat to 3 different places with Ragamuffin Tours. Really enjoyed it, Thank you Jerry and Kevin. We do wish we could have snorkeled longer on our own.

Snorkeled at the Split, right by Caye Caulker Condos.

We saw alot of fish there. The current is a bit strong there and it gets a little cloudy in the water so sometimes its hard to see. There is also some boat traffic there.

We rode bikes and walked all over the island. It isnt far from one end to the other.

We came in on the San Pedro Water Taxi and left on Tropic Air. It was fun to see see all the sites from the water and from the air.

Loved it all. Didnt want to leave.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in Caye Caulker

Thanks for posting! The cakes, Chan's, the Raggamuffin sailing trip, and Wish Willy were some of our favorite memories, too. Photos below in the 2009 collection if you're interested. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Minnesota
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in Caye Caulker

Can you provide a bit of info on the pros and cons of taxi v air transportation to the island. We were kind of thinking of the same choices you made (water taxi there and air back) but not sure. Why did you make the choice you made and would you do the same again?

Thanks,

AJ

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in Caye Caulker

The airport (greater Caulker International) has to be one of the highlights of any trip to the island. Close enough to town that you can haul your luggage, or hop a pedicab. Just a little shack serving as the terminal, with the A/C cranked up to max. There is no service unless someone has reserved. I was pleased that when my plane stopped for me on its way from AC to BZE it had one empty seat saved for me. And great water views on the way over. Less convenient to leave from the airport compared to the water taxi, but a lot easier connection on the mainland. Not a lot more expensive when you figure in the land taxi ride to BZE from the dock.

Clear Lake Iowa USA
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week in Caye Caulker

hopefulist:

Love your pictures. When I see your shark pics I still get so mad that I left my underwater camera in the condo! We loved swimming with the sharks and rays and turtles, I wish I was back snorkeling!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week in Caye Caulker

Thanks, paga2 - happy memories!

We took the water taxi there and flew to BZE after also and agree that it's cool to experience both ways. Taking the water taxi was cheaper and easy - we arrived in Belize City from points south by chicken bus and taxied to the dock instead of the longer, more expensive taxi to an airport. Flying from Caulker to BZE at the end of our visit to Belize meant we could enjoy the morning and lunch on the island and still make an afternoon flight, so that was the decision making there.

If you're considering flying but not on arrival or as you exit the country, flights to Caulker are much cheaper from the municipal airport. Happy trails!

Edited: 2:13 pm, February 01, 2011
Clear Lake Iowa USA
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week in Caye Caulker

A J Hi, from Iowa.

We landed at 2;10 and made it to the 3:00pm watertaxi (San Pedro Water Taxi) We got there about 2 minutes before it sailed. We bought the one way tickets for $20 BZE, just incase we wanted to take the other water taxi or the airplane back. It is cheaper to buy a round trip ticket. It was fun (though really packed in there) to come by water and see the little islands and boats on the way there.

We decided a couple days before coming home to book tickets on Tropic Air because we thought we would really have to rush to take the water taxi.

We had access to the internet at our Condo. So we booked it on line. Though we also rode out to the airport on our bikes and talked to them.

Tropic Air was $63 a person + a service fee ($2.50?) It came exactly on time and it took us 10 minutes to fly to the International Airport. We just got off the plane and walked into our terminal.

The Watertaxi leaves on time, then takes 45 minutes to get to Belize City and then its a 15 min ride to the airport. The taxi is $ 25.

We took a golf cart taxi to our Condo in Caye Caulker and then he picked us up and took us to the air field when we left.

We thought it was fun to see the island, other islands, and Belize City from the air. We will do the same if we go back.

So $65.50 pp air vs $ 35.00 pp water and taxi (US)

Hope this helps Gail

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week in Caye Caulker

Paga2,

How did you get from the airport to the water taxi? We are going in March and plan to go to Caye Caulker as well - by water taxi, but haven't figured out how to get to that area from the airport.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Sharie

Clear Lake Iowa USA
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week in Caye Caulker

There are taxis right at the airport waiting to take you. The fee is $25. We told the driver to take us to the next water taxi going to Caye Caulker. There are more than 1 Water Taxi Companys.

It is about 15 minute drive to the Water Taxi from the airport .

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 week in Caye Caulker

I really liked Caye Caulker Condos! Glad to hear they are still providing great service. Thanks for the trip review!

Clear Lake Iowa USA
Level Contributor
300 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 week in Caye Caulker

We really did enjoy the Condos. They are in the perfect location and are so nice. I wrote a review .