We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Telephone Use

San Diego...
1 post
Save Topic
Telephone Use

Hey Everyone,

I'm leaving for my first trip to Belize on Wednesday and i'm travelling to Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye. Was wondering what the best advise there is for forms of communication. Is it better to use my verizon cell phone or should i purchase a calling card? Thanks!

Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Telephone Use

If you do choose to use your phone call your carrier before you come down and ask for a plan and or rates. Sometimes it is cheaper to pick up a sim card here for $25 U.S. but I think verizon is CDMA network not sure.... Calling cards arn't great here as there are not a lot of public phones.

Cheers,

Carlos

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Telephone Use

Phone calls are wickedly expensive both to make and receive if you have an overseas phone. Belizean phone calls overseas are very pricey. We generally suggest that you use email and IM. Most resorts have wifi and there are plenty of interenet cafes.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,455 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Telephone Use

if you really need to talk, as opposed to email, you cam get a cheap calling card at any little food store. I've done this in the past and, while I do not recall the cost, it seemed cheap at the time. True there are few public phones, but they are around and they work very well, unless of course they don't.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Telephone Use

What I tell my friends:

1. Never use the special phones that many resorts have. They can charge more than $5us a minute. Never use those.

2. Get a $5 or $10 Smart card, and put it onto someone's phone, and use the phone to call home. It's unbelievably cheap, and a few percent of what the special phones charge.

3. If you can't find someone with a Smart phone, buy a BTL card, and use a payphone. Still much cheaper than the special phone.

4. Smoke signals are the cheapest...

Orange Walk, Belize
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Telephone Use

I agree with the good doctor.... never use those special phones. and yes smart has the cheapest calling rates if you cannot find anyone to borrow a smart phone from, there are 3 places that i know of - could be more - that would rent you a smart phone for the duration of your stay and you return at the airport

By the way, the smart cards mentioned here are not the ones you find in the US, but the name of the company here is Smart.

Enjoy your stay!!!!!!

Walla Walla...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Telephone Use

I live in the US, and have a Magicjack. I use it with my laptop, and I can call back to the US and Canada for free, and anyone in the states can call my local US number, and it rings wherever I am in the world. It also has voice mail, and and the voice mail get emailed to me. It's a pretty slick system if you travel.

Walla Walla...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Telephone Use

I live in the US, and have a Magicjack. I use it with my laptop, and I can call back to the US and Canada for free, and anyone in the states can call my local US number, and it rings wherever I am in the world. It also has voice mail, and and the voice mail get emailed to me. It's a pretty slick system if you travel.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Telephone Use

Voice over Network systems are illegal in Belize, so you have to find someone who has satelite connection to use these services, also needs to be a business standard connection as normal domestic satelite connection have upload which is too slow for von to work.

9. Re: Telephone Use

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:32 am, March 02, 2011