We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccinations for Belize

Eugene, Oregon
13 posts
Save Topic
vaccinations for Belize

My family will be traveling to Belize in June. The CDC recommends Hep A, typhoid, malaria prophylaxis, anti-diarrheal meds just in case. We will be spending most of our time on Ambergris Caye and a few days in Cayo. I would love to hear people's thoughts, especially about the Typhoid. Thanks.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vaccinations for Belize

You should of course take medical advice as you may have specific issues in your own medical histories. I can tell you what we personally do, living here in southern Belize, which is nothing at all except standard Hep and tetanus injections, which I would have for living in the UK. Take anti diarrheal meds with you just in case, you are unlikely to need them. Cover up early and late and use a good bug repellent. You can take the old fashioned anti malarials which are less drastic if you decide to take them.

I have never heard of a case of typhoid here in Belize for as long as I have been visiting and living here. Normal travel health precautions should be ample ie not drinking too much or getting too much sun. AC water is potable, you may wish to use bottled water for the very young, old, or people with weak immune systems.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,573 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vaccinations for Belize

For years we followed the CDC recommendations whenever we traveled any where. I think I probably still would if I was traveling with children.

Personally, I think everone should be vaccinated against Hepatitis A. It's endemic in Central America. It's also fairly easily spread.

I keep my thphoid vaccine current. Doesn't cost much, and there is an oral form which is good for five years. The injectable only lasts for two years.

The vast majority of my time in Belize is spent on Ambergris. I don't take malaria prophylaxis. That said, Chloroquine is cheap and effective and doesn't have many side effects. Once again, in my mind, traveling with children would make me error on the side of caution.

All that said, I don't know anyone who has contracted Thphoid in Belize either. Nor have I heard of cases of malaria on Ambergris Caye.

If you decide to get all the vaccines that recommended, you still need to be diligent about mosquito protection, there is no vaccine for dengue fever.....

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vaccinations for Belize

best to talk to a health care professional about health care issues. foolish to talk to people on a travel forum about health care issues.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,573 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vaccinations for Belize

Some of the people on this forum used to work in travel clinics.....

5. Re: vaccinations for Belize

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, October 13, 2010