We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caye Caulker Recommendations

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Caye Caulker Recommendations

We just returned two weeks ago from a two week vacation during the "off season" in Belize. The first three nights were spent on Caye Caulker.

We loved the laid back "Go Slow" vibe and especially enjoyed the free bikes and kayaks that came with our Leeside Room accomodations, which was situated on a quite back street just past the soccer field. Leeside was great for few reasons: air-conditioned!, comfy queen bed, hot and cold shower. We only wished there would have been a CD player or stereo instead of the cable tv, which really wasn't necessary.

Definately eat at Rose's next to Habaneros. You pick your fresh fish from the barbeque grill on the street (we had grouper and snapper, but there was also plenty of lobster too). You get two sides and an appetizer for $7.50 to $12.50 U.S.

We recommend Amor d' Cafe for fantastic homemade bread, yogurt, granola and smoothies. Bars all over town have happy hour where you can get really cheap rum drinks and Belikin beer, which is fantastic.

We also ate at The Jolly Roger, which we had heard about, and although the food wasn't as good as Rose's it was amusing to watch the big guy work the crowds and hold court as people walked by.

Just touring the island on bike was a favorite for us, along with kayaking to "the other" Caye Caulker

on the other side of The Split.

If you go on a snorkel tour, definately go with Carlos Tours. We had 6 people in our group to Hol Chan, Shark Ray Alley, and Coral Gardens. Carlos is very knowledgeable about the wildlife and eco conscience. He takes amazing underwater shots of your tour and you can purchase a disc of them afterwards for $15. They're some of the best photos we have.

Sunrises and sunsets were another bonus. We had perfect, but hot, weather and were happy to not have to deal with crowds or a lot of other tourists.

Very romantic.

Note: because of the mangroves the sand can smell pretty strongly of sulphur - it's not your partner passing wind!

PNW
Level Contributor
642 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caye Caulker Recommendations

Thanks for the review. We head there in December for a week on CC.

Boston...
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caye Caulker Recommendations

This is all a big help! Thank you! 25 days till we leave!!!

California
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caye Caulker Recommendations

Very helpful. We will be arriving on Caye Caulker December 20, 2009!! I can't wait!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caye Caulker Recommendations

Thanks for a great review. Short and simple, yet it's all there. I now have to try Leeside Rooms next time we head out there.

USA
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Caye Caulker Recommendations

I agree some of the BBQ places on the road side are good, but there are some amazing restaurants on Caye Caulker that you absolutely must try....

Syds - one of the oldest restaurants on the island serving really inexpensive food. this is one of those restaurants where you will always see local people getting lunch at. Sit in the back courtyard, it's really pretty.

Habaneros - the most upscale restaurant on the island. I had my best meal here... Lobster skewers cooked three different ways, awesome. We went back a second night as there were so many things we wanted to try. If you like Crab...you must try the Stoned Crab Claws...Wow. This is the only restaurant serving fresh Crab. And try to save room for dessert! This restaurant is something special.

Don Corleon - the only itialian restaurant on the island. their food is really good...gnocchi in pesto and a caesar salad. they also have real cappucino. They have nightly specials so make sure to ask.

I love food and I love finding great restaurants. On vacation, it is fun to have a meal from a BBQ on the beach, but I always look for something that will WOW me too. Don't miss out on some of the great food on Caye Caulker.

Belize
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Caye Caulker Recommendations

Nice recommends. Stopping for a drink at the spit is always fun too.

Costa Mesa, CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caye Caulker Recommendations

We just returned from a two week stay on Caye Caulker for our honeymoon. I'll post elsewhere about my recommendations, but I wanted to correct the statement about Don Corleon being the only Italian restaurant on Caye Caulker - it isn't. Sandro Take Away on Front Street makes fantastic Italian meals that can be eaten there at their two picnic tables, or to go.

Level Contributor
160 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caye Caulker Recommendations

My thanks, too, for the great suggestions. We head there in Feb. for a week. I am worrying about where we can swim...any good swimming beach? thanks, leonore

Costa Mesa, CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caye Caulker Recommendations

Leonorew, there is a public beach at the north end of the island, by the Lazy Lizard. The water is very clear and free of sea grass there. You can also lay out on the seawall and swim in front of the LAzy Lizard, in the split and around the wall. There is good snorkeling in this area as well, with lots of small fish.

Edited: 8:02 pm, December 30, 2009
Costa Mesa, CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caye Caulker Recommendations

My apologies for the multiple posts, but I wanted to add a few recommendations. If you are looking for a more authentic, local restaurant, you must try The Little Kitchen on Back Street. We ate dinner there 6 times in two weeks, because it is excellent and very reasonable. A grilled lobster dinner is $10BZ, and includes a lobster tail, rice, and salad or veggies. They also have whole grilled snapper for $10BZ and ten other selections - all great.

For breakfast, we ate at Glendas, Amor y Cafe, Marins, Tropical Paradise and Agave. best value by far was Agave, with a full breakfast, including coffee, for $10BZ. Agave also has excellent quality food.

Amor y Cafe has amazing homemade breads and a fantastic fruit, yogurt and granola breakfast for $9BZ. Their box lunches are amazing as well.

Glendas is also around $10BZ for American style breakfasts, and very good. They have SUPERB lunches for great prices (Stewed chicken meal $7BZ).

Marins was another one of our favorites, with great ceviche, breakfasts and dinner. Try the fried chicken for $8BZ.

Tropical Paradise had $6.50BZ breakfasts, coffee refills and friendly service in a great spot. Look to the chalk board for specials - that is where the deals are.