We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destinations similar to Caye Caulker/Amberguis

london
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Destinations similar to Caye Caulker/Amberguis

I spent a week in Caye Caulker this past month and loved it!!! I will definitely be back! However, I also like to try new places, so I thought I would ask you all.

Does anyone have another destination suggestion *similar* to the Cayes? (Laid back, fairly inexpensive, not packed with tourists, beaches, snorkeling, diving, etc.?) I know to most of you nothing can compare, but any close 2nds would be appreciated.

Thinking somewhere in Central America...Costa Rica? Guatamala?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,053 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destinations similar to Caye Caulker/Amberguis

I think Roatan might meet your requirements. Better diving and snorkeling than AC/CC and cheaper. A bit more run down perhaps and far harder to get to. Roatan has isolated dive resorts, a string of family oriented resorts along a beautiful beach, and small funky lodges in a hopping little town. I prefer it to Belize, although the people are not as friendly.

Belize
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Destinations similar to Caye Caulker/Amberguis

Did you mean other destinations within Belize or as the other post suggested, destinations outside of Belize, ie, other countries?

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Destinations similar to Caye Caulker/Amberguis

I agree with dhauk...Roatan, Honduras. Beautiful. You could also check into Utila.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destinations similar to Caye Caulker/Amberguis

if you're thinking of belize, i would say placencia, very laid back, lots of stores, lots of budget accomodations....

5. Re: Destinations similar to Caye Caulker/Amberguis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, October 22, 2009