We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash vs credit cards

KW Ontario
6 posts
Save Topic
Cash vs credit cards

Hi guys,

I'm heading down to Caye Caulker on March 23rd for a week & I'm trying to get an idea of how much cash to take, as I'm not really sure what costs are like. I assume I can pay for my diving & any excursions I do with my credit cards, so the cash would be to cover the food & drinks. Thanks for any help (& advise!) you can share.

Cheers.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash vs credit cards

Carry minimal cash, use ATM,s as needed. Use credit cards as often as you can.

ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash vs credit cards

A couple things to take into consideration:

You are likely to be charged a service fee for using your credit card - we were.

All merchants are happy to accept american cash.

Not all rest. accept CC.

The ATM is known for running out of cash on weekends.

Take enough small bills in american for tipping.

We have been a few times and always used cash only, except for our accommodations we paid with credit card.

We always felt safe walking around with cash and also felt safe leaving cash in our "mid-range" accommodation.

Have fun and go slow.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash vs credit cards

I prefer using the credit card when I can. I just call the card company if I see a charge I disagree with and they remove it.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash vs credit cards

I've never had any problem using my credit card for hotel, diving, and larger restaurants. So there is minimal need for cash, and for that $US works well, as most prices are quoted in $US. I've never seen any Belizean money. I use a CapitalOne credit card, which has the lowest charges for international transactions. The Belize dollar is pegged to the $US, so there is no "discounting" in prices charged by merchants.

I would second the suggestion that you plan not to have to use an ATM on a weekend.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash vs credit cards

We just returned from Caulker and found that far more places took credit cards and far fewer merchants charged an extra fee for their use than we'd expected based on the posts here. We used credit cards for most meals except for breakfast and really cheap restaurants. Even most of the mini-marts and the water taxi took credit cards. The latter really surprised me since the water taxi is so cheap.

Our condo rental company had a 5% credit card fee and Carlos Tours didn't take cards. Chocolate (manatee tours) takes cards with no extra fee. Don't know about other tour/dive operators so you should definitely ask.

That said, even if the merchant doesn't charge a fee, your credit card issuer might so it may be more economical to use cash.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash vs credit cards

When I say "more economical to use cash", I'm assuming taking/getting cash with no fee. If you plan to use the ATM and your bank charges for that, then it may all work out the same/similar anyway.

KW Ontario
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash vs credit cards

Thanks very much guys. Sounds like the credit card won't be a problem....I don't mind paying a reasonable service charge for the convieniance.

I'm guessing about $500.00 US cash should keep me going for a while.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash vs credit cards

Go travel, have a vacation. Stop worrying.

KW Ontario
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash vs credit cards

Ahh, no worries, It's all good!

Already starting to "Go Slow"!!

10. Re: Cash vs credit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 pm, October 21, 2009