We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for place to stay near the split

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
looking for place to stay near the split

Hello,

I realize that some of the best places to rent in CC probably aren't going to have elaborate websites that are in the top few pages on google search so I need some help from people who enjoy the island and know it well.

I'm trying to plan a 3/4 night trip in mid-Jan. to Caye Caulker with my girlfriend. I realize there really aren't any great beaches on CC. What about the split? Are there lots of weeds in the water? Is there beach to lounge on - or just the little pier that everyone crowds onto?

Next question is where to stay. I prefer to be closer to the split if that's the best spot to go in the water and lounge on the beach. The place needs to have a small fridge and a queen/king bed in addition to hot showers. As long as the place is clean, we are happy with basic amenities, although we do not want a hostel. We also require a few chairs so we can relax and drink beer outside. I'm looking to spend in the $60-$100 range. Most of the places seem to be booked by Amanda Badger but I've read some not so great comments about her. In addition, I'm only looking for 3-4 nights and she specifies a 5 night stay. Plus I'm sure she's taking 1/3 to book the place - I'd rather give it all to the owner and deal with someone who doesn't have 30+ properties to rent out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for place to stay near the split

Why don't you try Caye Caulker Condos? Not sure if their property has a king bed, but it has pretty much everything else you are asking for: www.cayecaulkercondos.com

Or, you can try the Barefoot Caribe: www.barefootcariberesort.com

Thanks and cheers,

Wendy Auxillou

Auxillou Beach Suites

Beachfront

Caye Caulker, Belize

ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for place to stay near the split

You're leaving mid january so i hope you get this in time..

I can suggest a couple places my wife and I have stayed about a year ago.

Mara's Place is very inexpensive, clean, quiet and secure and very close to the split. No A/C or fridge but they have a cooler and hot shower! And plenty of space/chairs to enjoy a bevy. I think Mara's was about 40 USD a night.

We also stayed at Da-Real Macaw - A/C, fridge, clean and secure...but not so quiet being that it's close to the centre of the strip - also had plenty of space to gather. Was around 60 USD a night.

Also stayed at the Rainbow Hotel - it had A/C and fridge but wasn't very clean or quiet - some space. I think it was aroudn 70 USD a night.

All three places located on the strip.

The split is an old pier destroyed by a hurricane and the remnants of what it once was remains as the primary hang-out to swim and lounge around. There's plenty of sand so you need not worry about weeds so much as jelly fish...and beware of the Portugese Man-O-War. We saw 2!

I trust this helps.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for place to stay near the split

This picture and the next 5 will show what the split looked like last Feb.

alandsuejohnson.com/belize%20folders/caye_ca…

We had no problems dealing with Amanda and liked the cottage we got. Not near the split though. You might also look for Jan's Place. They have to apartments on the road that face the water. The top one should have a good view. We stayed in their house a couple of times but its too big for what you want.

4. Re: looking for place to stay near the split

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, October 13, 2009