We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries on CC

Aurora, CO
7 posts
Save Topic
Groceries on CC

We are looking at staying at a rental property and want to know what to expect for food costs. I have two boys who like to eat. Can you give me a cost of bread, meat, and eggs.

Thanks

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
693 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries on CC

I cay anything about costs, but I did see basic groceries at two stores on CC, and there are some fruit stands scattered around the island.

Since you are apparently a disc golfer, you should know that the only disc golf course in Beilze is at the Trek Stop hostel, six miles southwest of San Ignacio near the Guatemalan border. It's a pretty unuque experience tossing the disk through the jungle. Trek Stop is a great place to stay, with small cabins and a community kitchen.

Aurora, CO
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries on CC

I would love to play down there. I have a feeling that I would contribute to the deforestation of Central America!

Thanks for the info. I just want to budget enough money for purchasing food.

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries on CC

A loaf of bread is about $2 US. A branded box of cereal is about $7 US. Chicken runs about $2 US a pound. Eggs are about $2 US a dozen. A bottle of soda is $1 US. A gallon of water is $2 US.

If you prefer not to cook on any given day, breakfast runs about $5 US per person (including a drink), lunch is about $10 US and dinner is about $15 - $20 US.

Hope this helps!

Thanks and cheers,

Wendy Auxillou

Auxillou Beach Suites

Caye Caulker, Belize

Aurora, CO
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries on CC

Thanks for the info. It sounds great. I can't wait to visit!

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries on CC

There are a few Chinese run supermarkets on the island. They also rent out bicycles. The food prices are not bad.

You also may try home cooked meals from a woman street vendor(I hope she is still there). We had a plateful of fresh grilled fish, chicken, vegetables, rice, etc. for ~US$3, after we saw our diving shop owner ordering from her. It was delicious and too much food we could not finish.

Aurora, CO
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries on CC

I'm game for that! We are going to be there for a week and I'm sure we will want to cheat on the cooking a couple of times! It is always smart to see what and where the locals eat, it is usually safe.

Thanks for the info.... We will be Going Slow in a month and a half!

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries on CC

How old are your boys? Are they old enough to snorkel/dive? If so, the dive shop owner I mentioned can take you on his sail boat(not noisy power boat) to "Shark-Ray Alley". He knows the area better than any young guys. He is a Mayan old man and is rumored he can talk to fish. His shop is located across from a soccer field downtown. Check it out.

Aurora, CO
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Groceries on CC

Thanks, I'll be sure to check him out. We all would like to go to Shark-Ray Alley and Hol-Chan.

Thanks.

9. Re: Groceries on CC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:23 am, September 20, 2009