We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money, credit card or travelers checks?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Money, credit card or travelers checks?

When going to Belize is it best to have cash, travelers checks or credit card? We will be in fairly "touristy" places like San Pedro, Cayo and Belize City.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
New Jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Money, credit card or travelers checks?

Cash is always the last choice, but a little of it is OK. You get two Belize dollars to One US. TCs and CCs are acceptable just about everywhere and safer to carry around. Just be careful, baby, just be careful. You want to have a great holiday in that beautiful little country, so just do things right!!! And you've chosen quite a triple treat - Ambergris Caye, Cayo, and Belize City. Go to Belize City first, fan out on tours, then Cayo, ditto, and then lazy days in San Pedro, next to the barrier reef !!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money, credit card or travelers checks?

My credit card charges a fee for international travel, so I tend to use it less. I have a few hundred dollars in traveler's checks, mostly for emergencies.

Mostly I use ATM's and get cash as I need it. The fees aren't high, and it's simple.

Alaska
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money, credit card or travelers checks?

Many businesses charge an extra fee (around 4-6%) for using creditcards. On top of the card's international exchange fee, that adds up.

I'd say take LOTS of traveler's checks. Any business will take them. Cash some at a bank when you need more Belize $$.

Also take some US $$, $1s and $5s; great for little things and tips on your first few days there.

If you're booking lodging in advance, do it with CC (check on the fees!) or see if they'll take a cashier's/certified check or money order.

just my 2¢

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money, credit card or travelers checks?

It's illegal for businesses to charge that extra fee to use a credit card. That doesn't mean some don't, but I find it far less common than a few years ago.

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money, credit card or travelers checks?

I used to take traveller's cheques, but now it is so easy to get money from the ATM on Ambergris Caye, that I only have a few TC's as emergency backup. I only use my credit card for extensive diving, tours and paying for my hotel bill, never in a restaurant or shop.

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
6. Re: Money, credit card or travelers checks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, September 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker