We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling with kids

Menasha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling with kids

I'd like to take my 9/11 year olds snorkeling when we are on CC next week...any outfitters in particular that are more family friendly?

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling with kids

I've taught kids swimming and snorkeling. I'd get them snorkels and masks and practice at home in a pool first so that when you get to Belize, they will already be comfortable. It's easy for some and not for others-some kids just don't "get" breathing through the mouth.Teach them how to clear their mask and make sure you scrub it with dish soap before hand to get rid of the residue of sun screen etc. It also depends how comfortable they are in the water and if they are proficient and confident swimmers. I've taught people how to snorkel and sometimes it's good to wear a PFD so they can focus on the snorkel aspect and not worry about the swimming. Also, sometimes the guides have a ring with them that folks can hang on to.

They're old enough that requesting a guide for beginners would be enough.

Edited: 12:36 pm, March 19, 2018
Menasha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling with kids

Thank you! I appreciate the advice of an expert! We purchased their equipment and they’ve been in the pools at our stays leading up the Caye Caulker. They’re decent swimmers, but I still bought them vests just so we all can relax a little more. The last time I was snorkeling in Belize, I was on a bit of a party boat. Just wasn’t sure if that was the norm or if I could find a more family oriented outfitter by asking around!

Mentioned in this post
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,479 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
620 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling with kids

Go with Caveman. He's a family man, it's a family business and they do not serve alcohol on the boat. We have been out with them 3 times and enjoyed every one.

Menasha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling with kids

Thank you, Theresa! We went with Caveman and had an amazing tour! Our guides were very conscientious in helping us to keep track of the kids in the water, and very accommodating when my son needed to get back to the boat. Great outfitter!

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
620 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling with kids

Glad you enjoyed it!!!

Caveman runs a fantastic business.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
19 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling with kids

Do you think it would be okay for a nearly 5 and 8 yr old to snorkel with caveman? My nearly 5 yr old is just now learning to swim, so he’s need a vest. Workable?

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
620 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling with kids

I would go by and discuss with them. His wife mans the office and he’s there a lot as well.

Reply to: Snorkeling with kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker