We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime Caulker

6 posts
Crime Caulker

I can't belize what just happened!(better start with a joke)

We are at cc right now,but im not sure if we gonna stay as long as planned.

Here is our story,

when we arrived on the island, we thought the place was nice, its so small, they can't have criminals..

This morning we wake up and the other girl that sleep in the same dorm as us, she was in panic, she could find her camera. I was working at the time and my gf ask me to check our stuff with her, and the thief stole things from us too. Then my gf and the other girl went to the police to press charges, they came back 30 minutes later with the policemen. They took a quick look in the room than said " if you want to press charge, you have to go to san pedro by boat then pay 18B$ to the police there. You have to pay so they press charges,that's insane ! No wonder why the crime number are low, nobody want to spend around 50$ and a day to press charges.

After that we talked with other peoples at the hotel and they had similar problems in the island. One was robbed in the street, the only thing the thieves left him was his underwear. He reported to the police, luckily they found his stuff, then the cops asked" so yoy syill want to press charges now that we got your thing back?"..

I cab go on and on but i dont want to waste more time.

If you have to go to caye caulker, be very cautious.

I believe the gangs from belize city are come there.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
380 posts
112 reviews
54 helpful votes
1. Re: Crime Caulker

Question the validity of this post. Sorry if it is indeed true. However like anywhere you have to be careful and protect yourself and your belongings. With that being said 1 post from this poster and very crazy stories. Not what I experienced in Caye Caulker at all. Lock your doors and keep your stuff safe. Look out for yourself and loved ones.

6 posts
2. Re: Crime Caulker

You can argue on the validity on my pist but ask yourself, why would I do that ? It didn't wrote the name of the hotel where it happen, so it's not a trick to ruin the business of someone. Im just sharing our experience in the island in general.

It's beautiful but dangerous at night.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
14 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Crime Caulker

Go back to the police station and tell them they are responsible. Jenmott is the head cop for the two cayes and he is based on San Pedro. If the cops will not take your report, give me their names and I'll report to the Min of Natl Security. Who owns your hotel? That is who should be your advocate. Ask to speak with town council. Do not let these cops and crooks get away with this

katie

6 posts
4. Re: Crime Caulker

Thanks very much for that cathy.will try again tomorrow. For the hotel the problem is that it is run by volunteers, they don't know much than me. Will let you know if there is update.

belize
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
14 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Crime Caulker

Which hotel books guests but can not lend an assist when needed, especially when the problems originated at the hotel. Let me know pls and sorry for all you experienced while on vacation.

Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
130 reviews
71 helpful votes
6. Re: Crime Caulker

Yes, there is crime in Caye Caulker. Vacation destinations are not exempt from crime, just as your hometown isn't exempt. When we were there in October 2015 on our last night someone came into our rental in the middle of the night and took our cameras, my military messenger bag drivers license, credit card and our money to travel home.(Husband had left the door unlocked unbeknownst to me) We came back in July 2016 and were just more vigilant of our things. We are seasoned travelers and it happened.

Were you staying in a hotel or hostel? You said dormitory... Not that it makes it right but I think there is more possibility for crime to occur in a hostel because you're belongings may or may not be able to be secured.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
380 posts
112 reviews
54 helpful votes
7. Re: Crime Caulker

I apologize for making you feel like more of a victim from my post. I agree what happened is not ok and needs to be addressed. I hope you are well and safe. Good luck!

6 posts
8. Re: Crime Caulker

Actually we were volunteering in a hostel/animals shelter. Don't want to write the name of the place here because it doesn't need that kind of publicity. We are leaving today and while making our luggage, we found that more things had disappeared than we thought at the beginning..

A last word about the cops, we went back to their office, but they played like they didn't remember us.

Be very vigilant there, and if you are unlucky, don't except any help from the authorities.

belize
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
14 reviews
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Crime Caulker

That is not the solution, but I understand, you are a visitor here and this is not your problem, but is ours. I am very sorry and apologize, but your hotel is part of the problem, especially if people are being broken into and they are not doing anything to assist or force the police to take action. Shame these things happen to good people who come to visit us. Sorry, but pls let btb or btia know or let me know where you are staying via PM so I can do something.

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
716 posts
94 reviews
19 helpful votes
10. Re: Crime Caulker

I am so sorry that happened to you. Unfortunately no places are exempt from crime. However, we just got back from Caye Caulker and felt safe while we were there. But we stayed at a very nice hotel with a safe and a wall around the premises and a security gate with security cameras. Even then when we checked in our property manager told us there had been some petty thefts on the island and to please lock our doors when we leave as well as the balcony doors. I think some places take security more seriously than others and I am sure the thieves know the places that don't.

I'm sorry if your experience spoiled your visit, I can see that happening. But we will return and love the feel and overall friendly vibe of the island.

Get answers to your questions about Caye Caulker