We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi ride

Tilbury
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
Taxi ride

just a quick warning to anyone to make sure you get a price up front for a taxi tour of the island. We used a taxi driver that we met one night and wanted a ride to the Palapa bar on the north side of the bridge. He asked us if we wanted to see the island and we said yes, knowing there would be an additional charge. Well, the whole trip ended up being three hours, including our stop for lunch. At our hotel he told us the cost was $350 belizian dollars. I know we should have got a price up front but we thought he would be fair. We didn't have enough money and ended up paying about $300. We told our front desk about it and they agreed he ripped us off. To make things worse, he was supposed to pick us up the next day and take us to the ferry terminal. He didn't show. Another cab driver came and the front desk told him about our last driver. He was concerned and wanted to know what we were charged. Instead of telling him, I explained the trip, the time commitment, etc. and asked what he would charge. His answer was about $175. When I told him what we were charged, he echoed the front desk staff comment that we were ripped off! Just a warning to everyone. I wish we had not let our business/travel senses lapse -I guess this can happen when you are on vacation mode!

San Pedro, Belize
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Taxi ride

Sorry you got hosed on cab price. Wise advice to make clear the price up front even for short trips. It does cost a lot more to cross bridge by cab. Water taxi is a cheaper alternative to go north if you are not doing it by bike or cart.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,894 posts
14 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Taxi ride

I hope your hotel reported this to the proper authorities

Belize
3 posts
3. Re: Taxi ride

OMG! Thanks for the warning. You are much better off renting a cart and doing a self guided tour. Cheaper and you will enjoy more.

I have been to San Pedro numerous times and I always rent carts from Unbelizeable Golf Carts. They are feet from the airport, by the the Maya Terminal.

Here is there website: sanpedrogolfcart.com

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
107 reviews
88 helpful votes
4. Re: Taxi ride

Thanks for posting, like you I know we should set the price before getting in, but DH just thinks I'm a worry wort. The taxi drivers usually make him feel like he's hen pecked, I told him that's because he isn't doing the negotiating, which is more commonly handled by the male.

The last few years we've been on both Mexican coasts. Everywhere has clear price zones and the regulating agencies are pretty vigilant, so we've gotten very lax about following the sage advice of setting the price before getting in rule.

Cleveland, Ohio
2 posts
5. Re: Taxi ride

I've been to San Pedro over 30 times this is the nature of the beast!!!!

6. Re: Taxi ride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 12, 2016