We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay - Cocotal, The Landings, Coral Bay Villas?

Ontario
Level Contributor
107 posts
16 reviews
Where to stay - Cocotal, The Landings, Coral Bay Villas?

Hi everyone,

After reading numerous reviews, I am more confused than ever about where to stay in August. My husband and I are 30 years old and looking for peace and quiet but access to a variety of restaurants because we are vegan, aka picky. We do not want to spend more than $150/night and the less the better. We would like a pool, hammocks, a place directly on the beach, and not so far from town that we can't walk or bike within 20 minutes or so. We also want to be able to swim in the ocean, although we realize the beach is not like typical Caribbean beaches. I have narrowed my search to Cocotal, The Landings at Tres Cocos, and Coral Bay Villas but I am unsure of the beach situation at each of these. I liked the look of Hotel del Rio and Ak'bol but I believe they do not have pools.

I would really appreciate any input on these places, or others that I may have missed.

Thank you so much!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,569 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay - Cocotal, The Landings, Coral Bay Villas?

I think there's a sea wall all along the Landings at Tres Cocos. I don't know where you would swim if you stayed there.

Cocotal looks nice, I've never been inside. I prefer to be walking distance to town, bike riding up north after dark is a bad idea. Bikes would be fine during the day. I don't know how the swimming is off the beach there.

I own at Coral Bay, so, obviously, I'm biased. Easy walk to town. Nice pool. The ocean in front is very shallow, when we want to swim, we head for the dock next door at Caribbean Villas.

I do think there is a pool at Akbol, at least there used to be. Once again, I wouldn't want to bike there at night.

Ontario
Level Contributor
107 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay - Cocotal, The Landings, Coral Bay Villas?

Thank you Jeanh for the help :) I have been leaning towards Coral Bay because it is closer to town. Do you know if it is possible to kayak from there to the reef and if yes, how long it would take?

Edited: 11:38 am, May 02, 2014
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,569 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Where to stay - Cocotal, The Landings, Coral Bay Villas?

Yes, you can kayak to the reef. Assuming there's very little wind. I wouldn't try it if there's much wind at all. I don't know how long it takes, never done it myself. I'm guessing 20-30 minutes. There is at least one buoy out there to tie up to.

Ontario
Level Contributor
107 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Where to stay - Cocotal, The Landings, Coral Bay Villas?

Thanks again Jeanh :)

5. Re: Where to stay - Cocotal, The Landings, Coral Bay Villas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 05, 2015