We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito Season?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
185 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquito Season?

As I read through the forum questions and answers, I'm seeing a lot of talk of mosquitoes. Is there a time of year when they are better or worse? Bugs LOVE me so I would be happy if there was a low bug season. I would really like to get to Belize to dive…..

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
966 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito Season?

It's sort of hard to say when mosquitoes will be worse. Recently, there have been very few mosquitoes. Breezy weather usually helps. Where you stay on the island will also make a difference. The closer you are to the beach the better. There are only a couple of times a year when they are a real nuisance, but even then, it's during dawn and dusk and I find that Off does the trick. That said, those times are pretty unpredictable. Honestly, I've had much worse experience with mosquitoes in the southern USA than I have here. Come and dive. You won't regret it!

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito Season?

Colly is right very hard to predict, considering the heavy amount of rain we had last year, the mosquitoes were surprisingly not as bad they could have been.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito Season?

I spend most of my time here, as well as a lot of time in Southern Florida and a bit of time in British Columbia. I have left here and arrived in Florida a couple of hours later to tons of mosquitoes not having packed repellent as I didn't need it here. When I visit BC I only have to worry about mosquitoes during the hot summer months. Here, we have the warmth almost all year, so I guess you could say it's always summer. And if it rains the mosquitoes can come out, just like they did when I lived in Mexico and the Caymans. Tropical showers can occur any time of year and the mosquitoes will come out. It's hard to know. So, in summary " what Colly and TacoGirl said"

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
185 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito Season?

Thanks for the responses! Just as I had hoped! The trip planning continues!

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito Season?

Hi tacogirl I hear you have coupons for different things in San Pedro. Is that true? We are going to be there for the month of July.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito Season?

You heard right Guylaine K, I sent you a pm.

5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito Season?

Please do!

Cairns, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito Season?

hi

9. Re: Mosquito Season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 05, 2015