We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food safety

Kitimat, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
59 reviews
Food safety

I am in Belize and having a difficult time figuring out what is safe to eat and drink. I looked at the WHO and it says cook it, peel it, boil it, but I still have questions. Forgive me if I sound naive.... Is pico de gallo safe? I see the veggies are fresh but in lime juice.

How safe should I be with the water?

Can I have a mixed drink with store bought ice but in a glass rinsed with tap water?

Can I wash my face with it?

Any other advice would be great. Thank you

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Food safety

Food and water are generally safe; use bottled water for drinking like you would most anywhere, but certainly ok to wash your food and brush teeth in tap water. Food in restaurants, homes and some street vendors also safe, as a general rule.

Edited: 10:23 am, March 28, 2014
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,482 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Food safety

We've been here since the first of the year. We drink bottled water, but, my husband makes coffee with tap, and, we brush our teeth with tap water as well.

We eat lots and lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Never had any issues in the 10+ years we've been coming here.

Same with food. We eat a fair amount of street food, and, a lot of food from small, local restaurants. My husband got a bad piece of fish exactly once in all these years.

A friend of mine who gets sick each and every time she sets foot in Mexico, despite being careful about what she eats, has no problems here.

Edited: 10:37 am, March 28, 2014
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,482 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Food safety

I missed the edit time. i see you posted in the San Pedro forum. If you're not on Ambergris, I would find out the source of the tap water where you're staying. If it isn't city water somewhere, I'd even use bottled water to brush my teeth.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
969 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Food safety

The water on Ambergris Caye comes from a variety of sources, depending on your location and the property you are staying in. Most properties have 'city water' for tap water. The company that produces this water, which is done by reverse osmosis, ensures that it is safer than WHO standards. It doesn't taste great, but it is very safe to drink. Ice is primarily factory made, but some places will make it themselves. Again, perfectly safe. Well water, probably not great to drink and 'sky juice' as rain water is normally called, as long as the property manages their cisterns well, is fine to drink and tastiest of all. Simply rinse your raw veggies and fruit and they are absolutely fine to eat raw or unpeeled. Pico de Gallo is absolutely fine to eat, but check on how hot it is because sometimes it's a bit of a shocker. I hope this helps. Have a great time!

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
173 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Food safety

I have been to Belize 7 times. In the last 12 months, I was in Belize 43 days. I have gotten sick once. That was a night on the toilet. I am pretty sure we got sick from grapes on a cheese tray since that is the only thing both my wife and I ate that was the same. I eat a lot of street food and at local places. I am not careful.

Kitimat, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: Food safety

Thank you for your responses. I ended up eating more adventurous than I originally planned and had no issues whatsoever. I had cerviche, pico de gallo, and street burgers more than once. Each place made drinks with store bought ice and my stomach was full and happy :)

7. Re: Food safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 20, 2015
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro