We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol....

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol....

We are celebrating a 50th anniversary in San Pedro at a rented Villa. We are all drinkers. Beefeaters Gin and Crown Royal mainly. How do alcohol prices compare to the US on those? Are there liquor stores there that are comperable in price or is duty free the way to go?? Rum I know we are good with that, just wondering in those two in particular. Thanx!!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol....

Duty Free is definitely the way to go. My husband drinks good vodka, about twice as much in the stores here as what he pays in the US.

I'm guessing gin and Crown prices will be similar.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol....

Thank You!!!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol....

I have no idea what Beef Eaters costs in the US. Saw a bottle at the store, so looked at the price BZ$96.00, US$48.00. How does that compare?

The incoming duty free in Belize City has awesome prices, but, they may not have the brands that you want. if you're flying on Tropic or Maya, the duty free will have to go into your checked bags.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
373 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol....

Also, drinks at non-hotel restaurants tended to be a bit less than the prices here in the US, while drinks at hotels seemed to be pretty comparable to US prices.

Algonac, MI
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol....

We bought ours at the duty free shop once we got to Belize City airport. Prices higher in San Pedro where we were staying. 12.5% GST tax added to all purchases within Belize.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol....

I would buy all the duty free you can when leaving your country of origin, and then perhaps supplement with the Belize International airport store.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
856 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcohol....

Alcohol is very expensive in Belize. Bring as much with you as possible. and pick up more at the BC airport when you arrive. The inbound duty free has way better prices then the rest of the country. Trust me when I say, if you past on a bottle of gin at the airport, because it's more then at home, you'll regret it when you get to AC and find the price almost double.

Depending on where you fly out of, the duty free at the US airport may not be that great either. On a recent trip, we flew thru N.C. (US Air), at the duty free there, I checked the price on Rum, it was more then what I would pay for it at home.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcohol....

I always have friends stop at the inbound duty free. One can save 100's.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
856 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcohol....

Dr, I believe it was you who gave me that excellent piece of advice.

I don't remember, but I think you could pick up multiple bottles PP. Was it 5?

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
455 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alcohol....

I guess if you are picky about what you drink it can be expensive. A bottle of One Barrel rum is generally cheaper than a bag of Doritos tacos. To each their own I guess.

Get answers to your questions about San Pedro