We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropicair vs. Maya Island Air

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
90 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Tropicair vs. Maya Island Air

Our family of 4 is traveling to Ambergris Caye in August from the U.S. We are flying into and out of Belize International and plan on flying to and from San Pedro, where we will be staying on the island. Looks like the two local flight options are Tropicair and Maya Island Air. Any preferences/issues with either?

53 replies to this topic
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,439 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropicair vs. Maya Island Air

I prefer Tropic, but, no real reason. Flown with them for many years. I've always gotten to my destination on time, or, even early.

The few times I've flown Maya, I haven't had any issues with them either.

I have read a few complaints about delays on Maya when flying to Ambergris. Tropic seems to have a lot more planes coming and going from San Pedro.

chicago
Level Contributor
13 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropicair vs. Maya Island Air

As a resident of Ambergris Caye and have made that flight a dozens of time there is no real difference between the 2

.You can also take a water taxi to San Pedro if you would like ....you may get to sit next to the pilot if the flights are crowded...

Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropicair vs. Maya Island Air

Good experience with Tropic Air in Feb. 2014 to San Pedro. Planes are tiny (I'm 5'1/130lbs)... so it may be uncomy to someone who doesnt fly well... Google (Tacogirl) she lives in Belize & will give you a coupon to use for the Tropic air flight. She is a destination expert for Belize.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropicair vs. Maya Island Air

Tripic Air has many more locations that they fly to. They just received an engine from W&P the other day to celebrate the anniversary of the engine's design.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropicair vs. Maya Island Air

I've flown in and out of most tourist destinations in Belize on both airlines. I normally just show up at the airport and take the next flight, definitely no preference. I believe Tropic is headquartered in San Pedro and is definitely the airline of SP; Maya Island for flights to the south. Tropic has the better web site and I always check it for fares. Both airlines schedule flights in and out of the international airport to service the international flights. Maya Island generally has a 10% discount for cash walk-ins, but you have to ask for it. If one airline has a special, the other will usually match it. Otherise, I find they are within $5 of each other. As far as I am concerned, they are both great airlines and the view alone is worth the price of admission.

Anniston, Alabama
Level Contributor
72 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropicair vs. Maya Island Air

We are headed down in June ---- so we don't have to book ahead of time? Both airlines are located inside the international airport? Is it pretty self explanatory where to go when we get off our flight there at the international airport? Thanks!

Hopkins
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropicair vs. Maya Island Air

Emily, normally in June (a relatively slow time of year for visitors) I would not book ahead. You may want to if your arrival is late afternoon and you would be catching the last flight of the day. The "commuter flights" - morning flights into Belize City and afternoon flights out of Belize City, tend to fill up. The airlines leave from the International airport first and land there first, with the stops at the Municipal airport second, both ways; so if there is not enough space, it is more likely that passengers in the Municipal airport would have to wait for the next flight. The Philip Goldson Airport is very small, everything is steps away.

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropicair vs. Maya Island Air

With either airline, how much time should you give yourself between the international flight and the domestic flight to San Pedro if you are checking in bags vs not checking in bags? should I schedule my flight an hour after arriving into BZE and also give myself an hour before my BZE return flight? thanks

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,439 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropicair vs. Maya Island Air

Tropic requests 45 minutes between your international flight and your domestic one. That's usually plenty of time, although at certain times of the day, there are multiple international flights arriving within 30 minutes of each other, and it gets a little longer.

Not to worry though, Tropic will put you on the next flight that has seats available.

Union, New Jersey
Level Contributor
47 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropicair vs. Maya Island Air

I prefer Tropic or Mayan Air. Last year my wife and I were delayed flying out of IAH for several hours into the night. Upon arriving in Belize City around 10pm our Tropic Air flight departed to San Pedro without a hitch. As a matter of fact they waited for our flight from Houston to arrive and kept the pilot and airport staff at the airport just for us. Mayan Air did not fly that night, causing their passengers to spend the night in Belize City and they flew to SPR the following morning. It was my understanding that neither one of the airlines there normally fly at night but Tropic did. Definitely fly wit Tropic Air. I also flew on Tropic numerous times while visiting Roatan.

Reply to: Tropicair vs. Maya Island Air
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted