We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in San Pedro?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
519 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in San Pedro?

My wife and I looking to book our first trip to Belize this year. I think we are set on staying in San Pedro but would like to get some recommendations as to where to stay. We are looking for something on the beach, quaint, nothing over the top fancy and not too big. Preferably close to (walking or biking distance) some restaurants and bars as well. Pool with some on-site dining and activities as well would be nice. Meal plans aren't necessary but we wouldn't mind breakfast to be included. We're not divers but more of a combination of beach people who like to get out and explore.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
The Phoenix Resort
The Phoenix Resort
#1 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Xanadu Island Resort
Xanadu Island Resort
#2 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Pelican Reef Villas Resort
Pelican Reef Villas Resort
#3 of 55 hotels in San Pedro
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,176 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in San Pedro?

What kind of budget are you looking at, and, what time of year?

Not too many places include breakfast, but, if you're in town, breakfast places are cheap and plentiful. And, many of the properties in/around San Pedro are 'condo hotels'. The rooms are condos, but, managed as a hotel.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
519 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in San Pedro?

We may book for May. If we can't make it down in May then it will probably be sometime in between September and November. We typically budget about $3,000 per year for our trips down to the Caribbean and Central America.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
884 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in San Pedro?

Look at Cocotal Inn and Cabanas, well-reviewed here on TA and you can visit their site:

http://cocotalbelize.com/

My husband and I stayed there in 2010, during our first trip to Belize and loved the property. It's 2.5 miles north of San Pedro town, but walking distance to several great bars and restaurants and many excursions will pick you up right at the Cocotal dock. There is a pool and beachfront (such as it is on Ambergris), plus a lagoon and kayaks. There is a barbecue to use and the accommodations have kitchens, so you can make your own picnics or keep cocktails and snacks handy. You can kayak out from the dock for snorkeling or explore right around the dock. We have since forsaken Ambergris for South Water Caye because of the superior snorkeling right from shore, but if we "had" to return to Ambergris, we would choose Cocotal in a heartbeat.

Mentioned in this post
Cocotal Inn & Cabanas
Cocotal Inn & Cabanas
368 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,176 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in San Pedro?

Cocotal Inn is a cute looking property. However, I'm the sort who wants to be walking distance from town. Large choices for eating/drinking/entertainment. Also, much easier to buy groceries. Even if you don't plan on cooking, I buy stuff for snacks, as well as maybe some easy breakfast things.

I'm going to recommend my own neighborhood. I think it's about perfect, about a mile south of the center of town, pretty quiet. Off the top of my head, I can think of about a dozen places to eat within a 10 minute or so walk.

Hotels/condotels in the area include Xanadu, Caribbean Villas, Coral Bay Villas (I own a unit here), Corona del Mar, and Exotic Caye. All beach front, all have pools, although Exotic Caye's isn't great. I think Caribbean Villas still includes breakfast, although ownership has just changed, so that could change as well.

I can walk to a couple of grocery stores in 10 minutes or so, as well as a bakery, even a pharmacy. About a 20 minute stroll to town. You could certainly walk faster and get there sooner, but, why???

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean Villas Hotel
Caribbean Villas Hotel
872 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Coral Bay Villas
Coral Bay Villas
122 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Corona del Mar Hotel & Apartments
Corona del Mar Hotel...
485 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in San Pedro?

Don't stay at the Kama lounge, very unsafe and rooms have lots of bugs and mosquitoes

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in San Pedro?

Don't stay at the Kama lounge, very unsafe and rooms have lots of bugs and mosquitoes

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
319 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in San Pedro?

We are here now and checking out after 8 nights. Stay at Caye Casa. No pool no food...but you will not be disappointed when you see the other choices in person!!! The place really is walking distance to town and many beach bars and eateries. Still I would rent a cart. We rented a cart for our entire stay and went all over the island many times. We were SO happy we did not book north of the bridge!!! Trust me on this!! There are a few places worth seeing there but you don't want to stay there....in the middle of nowhere with horrible roads. South of town is à little better but without a cart you will be bummed out for sure!! The staff at Caye Casa is beyond great...we have traveled many places and 7 island vacations too so we do not get "star struck" like newbies and we have no investment in your decision. Message me if you want further details.

Mentioned in this post
Caye Casa
Caye Casa
314 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,176 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in San Pedro?

I live a mile south of town and we don't have a cart. We walk everywhere, take the occasional cab home for US$5.00 if we happen to be in town late (which isn't often).

The carts are fun to drive around in, but, can be a hassle to park. If you want one, rent one, but, I'd wait until you arrive to decide if you really want one for the entire time. Unless, of course, you're further south than me. Very far north of the bridge, you would be better off using water taxis.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
519 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in San Pedro?

Wow! Thanks for all of the feedback guys! It looks like we have some decisons to make lol! We do like the idea of being within walking distance or a short golf cart drive to the restaurants, shops and bars. I guess what we are looking for is more of home base with some amenities. Last March we visited St. Lucia and stayed at a boutique hotel (Coco Palm) in the heart of Rodney Bay which was absolutely perfect us. Hopefully we can make a decision soon...really looking forward to visiting this country!

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay
988 Reviews
St. Lucia
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
884 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in San Pedro?

Bodnar27, based on your reply, I would say that the people telling you to stay south of the bridge are more aligned with your desires than my suggestion of Cocotal. Because you mentioned Rodney Bay, St. Lucia favorably, I think you would prefer being closer to more action, whereas when I went to St. Lucia, I favored Soufriere. Too each their own, for sure! Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay
988 Reviews
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean