We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much spending money to take for honeymoon in Belize?

South Jersey
1 post
Save Topic
How much spending money to take for honeymoon in Belize?

Hello! My fiance and I are going to Ambergris Caye, Belize on August 14-18 for our honeymoon and staying at the beautiful Victoria House. We have booked the romance package, which includes daily activities like snorkeling, etc., but I want to know how much spending money is recommended for meals, etc?

Any input would be appreciated! Thank you!

USA
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How much spending money to take for honeymoon in Belize?

We just returned from our 10 day honeymoon at Belizean Shores resort and loved it. As to how much money you need it depends on your tatstes (i.e, fine dining or hit the local places, bringing back souvenirs or just the memories). Though not an exhaustive list and probably not 100% accurate but close for a few things off the top of my head: (all in BZ$=2 to 1 $US

Lunch at Elvis: Stewed chicken/beans and rice/grilled plaintains etc--$11...Grilled shrimp ceasar salad $26 Beer=$5 Wine-= $10

Lobster quesadilla=$20; Large plate of Nachos=$15 at Cannibals

Ramons Tuesday night BBQ...Lobster =$40 Chicken, pork or fish=$20...combination of two=$36...combination with lobster=$44...beers=$6, vodka/soda=$15

Fidos bar...beers $5, frozen drinks $10-15

Appetizers at Blue Water Grill $12-22; Gourmet Pizzas $20-35 Entrees $20-60(lobster tails)

Large cinamon rolls/danish/croissants/etc at bakery on Middle street...$1.50 each

At Super Buy grocery store: Litre of local rum (white/amber/or coconut) $13; Smirnoff vodka $45; Jack daniels $70; Cheap chardonay $30; decent red wines $50 and up. Bottle of Dom Perignon $375

Dinner for two at Caliente's North with a few drinks/beers and a shared appetizer $110

Breakfast such as Huevos Rancheros at most places $10-20

Generally speaking you're looking at $5-6 for beers; $10-16 for mixed drinks/wine/frozen drinlks at most middle of the road places. That beeing said you can pick upa case of beer for around $40 at the distribotr south of the airport

Hope this helps a little...I 'll think of more later

New York, NY
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: How much spending money to take for honeymoon in Belize?

Dueller,

Your descriptions, are they in US $$ or BZ $$?

Thanks!!

USA
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How much spending money to take for honeymoon in Belize?

All prices are in Belizean dollars...

While Ambergris is not ultra expensive like a stateside resort, its not cheap cheap cheap like some off the beaten path places such as Isla Mujeres, etc. But there are some bargains if you search out some of the more "locals" places...

Louisiana
Level Contributor
677 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much spending money to take for honeymoon in Belize?

Wow, it's gotten expensive in the last 5 years. Used to be so cheap it was ridiculas. Has the exchange rate changed or has inflation been the culprit? Anyone know if the Palapa Bar is still on the north end of the island? We were stuck there during a torrential downpour about 5 years ago and the proprietor was so nice. We had rented bikes that day and set out to explore. Ended up staying a few hours at the Palapa Bar. The proprietor was German if I remember correctly.

USA
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How much spending money to take for honeymoon in Belize?

No...exchange rate is still $2BZ= $1US. There are still some bargains but ya gotta look.

Also...effective July 1st a 10% general sales tax was implemented so add another 10% to goods on AC

chiefNerd@AmbergrisC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much spending money to take for honeymoon in Belize?

i have some frinds who just went and spent about a thousand dollars $US not counting rooms or airfare. thats food and drinks and tours. and a couple dresses and some wooden pots and a few things they bought. there are cheap places to eat, try antijitos santelmo south of town. and many local places and the street vendors are cheaper also.

there are some fantastic treats for the taste buds on the island....

7. Re: How much spending money to take for honeymoon in Belize?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, August 12, 2009