We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips and tours from Ambergris Caye

Austin, Texas
7 posts
Save Topic
Day trips and tours from Ambergris Caye

Hi I will be traveling to Ambergris Caye with my girlfriend in first week of June.

I would like to do a snorkeling trip, mayan ruins and then something in the jungle/caves (ziplining, cave tubing). What are best ways to set this stuff up? and any suggestions on specific companies or tours groups?

Thanks

Dustin

Belize Food Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips and tours from Ambergris Caye

Since no one answered your specific question, I will put in my opinion. I think you should look at staying on the mainland. If major Mayan ruins are a priority you should spend time in the San Ignacio area, including a trip to Tikal (one night at the park minimum). For the balance of your activities (cave tubing, zipline, a snorkel trip) look at Hopkins. You can also do Xunantunich and the minor Mayan ruins in Toledo as a day trip from there.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips and tours from Ambergris Caye

Sorry, missed seeing your message. I recommend splitting your trip if you're planning on more than one trip to the mainland from Ambergris.

It makes for long and expensive days going back and forth from Ambergris.

However, since you're traveling soon, your hotel is probably booked and locked in.

So, the major tour companies to the mainland are Searious, Seaduced, Tanisha and maybe Suya.

There are others. I know last year with Seaduced if you booked a couple of excursions, they threw in a 'free' half day snorkel trip.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
55 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips and tours from Ambergris Caye

If you are not booked already, consider having the Black Orchid Resort outside of Belize City pick you up at the airport (gratis), take you to their resort, make a trip to Lamanai (a short distance from them), then drive you to the airport (gratis) when you are ready to fly to A.C. That's what was recommended to us, and it's what we are doing when we go in July. Great howler monkey videos from the Black Orchid Resort on you tube (it's on the river in the jungle). We just called to make arrangements, but online resources are good, too. It looks like our night at the Black Orchid and our trip to Mayan site will be one of our trip highlights. Thanks to Katie here on Trip Advisor and Jerisue at Tranquility Bay for the advice.

Escondido...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips and tours from Ambergris Caye

I will be there from June 4-15th on my Honeymoon. I have been down there many times and are looking to pair up with a few more people. We have a boat/captain already reserved but want to cut cost a bit. Anyone interested? We want to do a little bit of fishing, snorkeling, beach BBQ, Mayan Ruin trip, cave tubing/zip lining.

BTW we are staying on Ambergris

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
194 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips and tours from Ambergris Caye

If you have the time I would also suggest staying in the Cayo District for a few days. It makes the mainland tours much easier. On Ambergris Caye snorkeling is much easier than Hopkins as the reef is very close. We booked a couple of trips with Searious. They bailed us out one day when another company cancelled our full day Caye Caulker, Hol Chan/Shark/Ray Alley, beach BBQ tour without telling us. We were waiting for pickup on the beach and they never showed. When I called they advised that the trip was cancelled because they didn’t get enough people signed up. We immediately hassled down the beach to Searious to see what they had going that day. A half day Hol Chan/Shark/Ray Alley had left 5 minutes ago. They called back the boat for us and we had a great morning. That, to me, is great service. We also booked them for a full day manatee watching, snorkelling; beach BBQ, Caye Caulker tour. When we booked this tour they said they were 98% sure that the tour would go and they did contact us the night before to confirm that it was happening. It was a great day.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips and tours from Ambergris Caye

We just arrive back, assuming you already booked travel and are starting at San Pedro, then our most amazing (and best value) trip was the Tropicair Lamanai trip - we booked direct with them. We started out from San Pedro at 8am - our friends and ourselves (4 of us) were the only people on the flight on their Cessna Caravan and landed at Tower Hill Airstrip about 20 mins later (yes it's an airstrip so think basic) which was pretty much fun in itself, great views. They took us a short hop to the boat dock on the New River, from there it was 25 miles down the river on a fast boat with a personal guide to Lamanai - taking in lots of wildlife and info along the way (that doesn't do it justice). The ruins are impressive and the guide informative, and a local style lunch is included in the trip. After that it is back up the river and reverse the process. On the flight out we were on one of their Gippsland Airvans which was also fun taking off from Tower Hill landing back at San Pedro around 2.30pm. For approx $250 per person I'm not sure you can get such a great personal interesting tour experience. Can't recommend it enough. I'll post a more thorough review sometime soon.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips and tours from Ambergris Caye

Might be interested, 14-17. What type of cost are we looking at for snorkeling a few places & bbq, don't think we are interested in zipline or cave tubing (which sounds like a blast) so who knows. We are mid 50's but like to have a fun, if age matters. We are celebrating 30 years!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips and tours from Ambergris Caye

sorry, shoot, just looked at your dates again. Have a blast, and Congratulations!

Union, New Jersey
Level Contributor
47 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips and tours from Ambergris Caye

Hey I'd suggest if you are staying on AC book a tour to Lamanai Mayan Ruins with Searious Adventures, they will pick you up at the dock of your hotel. Its a 75-90 minute speed boat ride to the mainland from San Pedro. They run a great tour operation. Their guides are very attentive. They also do day trips to Caye Caulker (can't comment on that one, I haven't done that activity with them). Reach out to Belize Pro Dive Center for Snorkeling or Scuba. They're a very good company.

My wife and I did several activities in the mainland from San Pedro. Definitely not a problem to book tours that ferry you back and forth to the mainland. IMO I enjoyed staying there rather than having had stayed on the mainland.

Enjoy your trip Doc!

Edited: 4:51 pm, May 29, 2014
Union, New Jersey
Level Contributor
47 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips and tours from Ambergris Caye

oh wow, I just posted this and realized you asked your question in 2013 lol sorry