We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking into Belize

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Looking into Belize

Sorry if I am on the wrong forum. My wife and I are looking into some different locations. A quick recap we have been going to Cozumel the previous 4 years, I am an open water certified diver my wife just likes to snorkel. We aren't afraid to "get out" we have done both All Inclusive and Condo options.

Where would you guy's start if it was your first trip to Belize?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking into Belize

If you want to dive and snorkel, I'd start with Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker. This assumes you want to be able to visit a variety of restaurants and such.

If you just want to dive/snorkel, look at the Atolls, or places like Southwater Caye.

Very few all inclusives in Belize, and that that are, are usually small, isolated properties.

Most hotels in Belize are small, most less than 50 rooms.

2. Re: Looking into Belize

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:53 am, April 19, 2015
Indy
Level Contributor
987 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking into Belize

Noblehawk,

I recognized you from the Cozumel forum and remembered you were also from Indianapolis. We don't dive but have been visiting Cozumel over the past 4-5 years. A few weeks ago we visited Belize for the first time. We spent 3 nts. on Ambergris Caye and 5 nts. on Caye Caulker. Everyone has their own opinions based on what they want on vacation but we preferred Caye Caulker. It's much smaller and less busy. If you like a more lively atmosphere you may prefer AC. We didn't visit the mainland so can't speak there. On Cozumel we always stayed in town at small hotels or condos. We love Cozumel but now we can't wait to return to Caye Caulker.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking into Belize

Thanks so much for the info. I don't think we can go wrong.

Is it any easier to get to Caye Caulkeror Ambergris Caye? Looks like you take the water taxi to Caye Caulker and a small plane to Ambergris. I will keep looking into both. It is always a little more work when you try out a new place. Cozumel feels like a familiar place to us now that we have been there so often.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking into Belize

You can fly to either caye. Or, take the water taxi to either one.

The plane trip is between about 15 minutes to either caye.

The water taxi is about an hour to Caulker, add on 20-30 minutes to get to Ambergris. The taxi usually makes a stop on Caulker.

Whitefish Bay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking into Belize

we took the water taxi to both, we got a taxi.from the airport to the ferry dock and bought our tickets there. it was an easy trip, we then later in our vacation took the water taxi from caulker to San Pedro super easy. lot cheaper than flying

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking into Belize

We just returned from two weeks in San Pedro. We also visited Caye Caulker. While it is true there is much less traffic on Caye Caulker, the entire town is less than one mile long and in most places just one block wide. "Downtown" San Pedro is not at all clogged by traffic, it is by far only golf carts and bicycles. The vast majority of automobiles are taxis and there are not an outrageous number of them. There are plenty of markets, shops and restaurants in San Pedro. When you choose between very quiet sleepy Caye Caulker and San Pedro, please do not think San Pedro is a huge bustling city!

We flew on TropicAir from Belize City to San Pedro. You can make this flight from the same airport, so no need to use a taxi or have any worries. Later in our stay we went back to the mainland by boat for a land excursion and I will say the airfare on TropicAir was worth every penny, I would not have enjoyed the trip across the water after a full day of travel getting to Belize City. It is not a picturesque float up the river by any means!

London
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking into Belize

Looking at various destinations to take our two daughters, 11 and 9 - so far they havent been out of Europe. My husband and I miss the beauty of the tropics. Want a laid back beach with calm waters and so greenery to explore. We are not divers or snorkellers - are the beaches in San Pedro safe and big enough to swim in shallow waters? Really want to get this holiday right as it will be long haul from England!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking into Belize

The beaches on Ambergris tend to be narrow. The water tends to be very shallow close to shore, and, there's often sea grass growing in the water. At most places, swimming is done off the docks.

The jungles are on the mainland, an hour away by boat.

Much as I love Ambergris, you might take a look at Placencia. Easier to do sightseeing, since you're already on the mainland.

London
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking into Belize

Thank you for that advice - will look at other beaches in Belize as I wouldnt feel comfortable swimming off the docks and I'm looking for clear shallow water to walk into! Am I being too fussy??

Get answers to your questions about San Pedro